The Cardinals took the lead by NOT playing The Cardinal Way

Oct 25, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT

This is fun. The crazy sequence where Craig Breslow threw away the ball when he tried to get Jon Jay at third base last night?  The one that resulted in the go-ahead and what proved to be the winning run scoring?  The only reason that happened is because Jon Jay failed to play baseball The Cardinal Way.

Watch the v45 second mark of the video here, when Matt Carpenter hits the fly ball to left field. Specifically, watch Jay at second base. Even more specifically, watch him fail to tag up on what almost everyone should have seen was a fly ball that was going to be caught:

As a result of not tagging up, Jay could not run to third simultaneously with Pete Kozma who was tagging up from third and running home.  He has to scamper back to second, tag, and then go to third. Since he was running late to third, Breslow thought he had a shot, threw the ball away and then Jay scored.

Of course Carlos Beltran then came up and singled in Descalso, who also advanced on the play, and if Jay had been standing on third as fundamentally sound baseball would have had him do, it would have been him who scored.  Still, the defining play of that game — the place where the wheels fell off for the Red Sox — was the result of some decidedly non-heads up baserunning by Jay.

Irresponsible baserunning. A bad throw. Man, somewhere, Yasiel Puig was watching this all and smiling.

1. skids003 - Oct 25, 2013 at 8:06 AM

Most of the time you can’t tag and go to third on a ball hit to LF. This is really grasping to find something not the “Cardinal way.” Actually just a bad play by Breslow is what it was.

• paperlions - Oct 25, 2013 at 9:04 AM

No, it isn’t.

You ALWAYS tag on that play because the ball is 100% going to home without a cut off due to the shallow nature of the FB and the fact that it represents the tying run. You tag, and as soon as the ball is on it’s way to home you waltz into 3rd…..there is no way the throw is going to 3rd because that just gives up the tying run, which would score before the runner was tagged, assuming Jay is smart enough to stop rather than running headlong into an out.

As it was, Jay almost ran into a double play, but it would have been incredibly ballsy of Gomes to throw to 2B for the double play…which he could have done, preventing the run and ending the inning.

This was running the bases the Jay/Descalso way, they are both horrible base situational base runners, getting doubled off on easy to catch fly balls and failing to tag in situations where they could advance a base.

• spudchukar - Oct 25, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I disagree to a point. When Carpenter first hit the ball I thought it had a chance to get down. And Jay’s first move was correct. You can fault him for not deciding sooner to go back and tag, but when the ball is hit directly over your head the angle certainly isn’t optimum, and Gomes is no wizard in left. The runner pretty much has to judge the ball by the fielder’s response.

And while I have watched Jay and Descalso make base running blunders, a couple come to mind lately, they also are pretty decisive at times and have been able to go first to third when others can’t. A little to harsh there PL. Players don’t have the luxury of the angles of the game that viewers get.

• paperlions - Oct 25, 2013 at 10:11 AM

But players also have a LOT of experience seeing the ball leave the bat and knowing where it will land. Jay was 2/3 of the way to 3rd base before turning around. He was lucky to not get doubled off.

I am all for decisive base running, but it also has to be smart base running (i.e. the decision needs to be a good one). It is one thing to get doubled off due to a great catch, Jay and Descalso have been double off on routine FBs.

I don’t think anyone thought that ball had a chance to fall when it left the bat. Even in a normal OF, but especially in Boston.

• spudchukar - Oct 25, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I still disagree. It wasn’t a “fly” ball. It was a looping liner, that never got more than 12 feet off the ground. That makes it a tougher read than you think.

And yes, as I stated, Jay and Descalso have recently made base-running blunders, but they also have been known to make good ones, even gutsy ones. So labeling them by recent errors isn’t fair to their overall skills. And after watching Gomes completely flail on Beltran’s liner in the first inning on a similar play that even Holliday probably makes Jay’s first move was still correct.

• stex52 - Oct 25, 2013 at 10:32 AM

I would assume that the very basic fundamental skills they would work on as soon as guys get to A-level ball are:

1. Situational base running.
        2. Throwing the ball from the outfield to the correct base.

But time after time I see young players (and sometimes older ones) screw it up.

I know baseball is an incredibly difficult game to play well. But the total combinations to worry about in all of these cases should take you about an afternoon to memorize. Why don’t they have that skill from the minute they are rookies?

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 25, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Yeah…I read the article three times skids and both times I thought…”C.C.’s grasping for straws.”
      Base running pressure is what caused the bad throws. Could J.J. have stayed on 2nd and tagged up? Sure. But it was a very short fly ball to left field with two outs. The fly ball was so shallow even a weak throwing Johnny Gomes gets Pete at home with a strike to the plate. Had J.J. tagged up and Gomes goes throws to 3rd…where are we? Cause’ again…there were two outs. So the throw absolutely does NOT go home 100% of the time…WITH TWO OUTS. The throw goes to the shortest base 75% of the time…WITH TWO OUTS.

• bdickey33 - Oct 25, 2013 at 4:05 PM

I agree completely. There is a cutoff man and if the throw is completely off line can cut the ball and make the out at 3rd. There is no such thing as waltzing into 3rd base on this play (per the comment above). This article is really grasping. Yes, he was a little far off when the catch was made and probably wouldn’t have had to go head first hard back into the base. If anything he caused the overthrow because he would have had a much better jump off of 2nd when the ball got away from the catcher than he did, but going to third on the throw is a stretch.

2. alexo0 - Oct 25, 2013 at 8:07 AM

Knowing runs were at a premium, Jay knew that it was critical that he score should that ball drop. Once it was caught it was his aggressive baserunning that forced the issue and made the game winning play happen. Cards play aggressive and it wins them games.

3. savior72 - Oct 25, 2013 at 8:10 AM

This is pathetic dribble drabble

• fearlessleader - Oct 25, 2013 at 10:35 AM

It really is. Also, when the Cards’ personnel talk about the Cardinal Way, they’re chiefly referring to their system of minor-league development, which is designed to get young players fundamentally and psychologically ready to play at the big-league level in an efficient timeframe.

Which, you know, might have a little something to do with the three 22-and 23-year-old pitchers who held the Red Sox to four hits last night.

4. hustleandflomax - Oct 25, 2013 at 8:25 AM

You’re not bringing Cards fans down today, dude, sorry.

• bfunk1978 - Oct 25, 2013 at 9:00 AM

If it was anybody other than Jon Jay I’d agree, but let’s be honest here: Cardinals fans are not surprised he’s doing stupid stuff.

• jc4455 - Oct 25, 2013 at 9:04 AM

Like not tagging up on a ball hit 75 feet from him. Idiot!

• mscxvd - Oct 25, 2013 at 9:06 AM

I agree john jay has been off his game this season compared to last season. He makes silly mistakes during key situations that just make you sigh

• paperlions - Oct 25, 2013 at 9:08 AM

Again, jc, smart base running includes knowing where the throw is going. Jay should have known the throw was going home as it represented the tying run, meaning he could easily have tagged up and been on 3B. Smart base running is tagging up….what Jay did was to almost run into a double play, as Gomes could have easily thrown to 2B for the out if it had occurred to him (and yes an IF was at the bag waiting for a throw).

A Cardinal fan nightmare is having Jay and Descalso on the bases together…that is a bad base running triple play waiting to happen….both do dumb things on the bases all the time (Kozma would as well, if he were ever on the bases).

• bfunk1978 - Oct 25, 2013 at 9:13 AM

It’s almost as bad as having Jeff Suppan running the bases. And Suppan had an excuse because he’s a pitcher. Descalso and Jay have no such excuse. ;)

• forsch31 - Oct 25, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Pretty much.

Also, it’s kinda cute how Craig now attributes everything to “the Cardinal Way”. It’s almost like he’s grasping at straws or something.

5. jm91rs - Oct 25, 2013 at 8:26 AM

If Gomes has a better arm that’s a double play.

• cur68 - Oct 25, 2013 at 3:40 PM

If Gomer had better judgement that’s JJ doubled off at 2nd and the inning’s over. Gomer should have nailed JJ at 2nd, NOT tried for home. He had him all day.

6. chip56 - Oct 25, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Can someone explain why the Cards’ preference to be known as a team that plays fundamentally sound baseball something to be mocked? I know it isn’t always as exciting as watching a guy like Puig turn a bad decision into a positive outcome but it’s certainly better than having a team lose games by playing dumb baseball.

• hustleandflomax - Oct 25, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Because ‘fundamentally sound’ doesn’t make the highlight reels for our ADHD nation, sadly.

• gammagammahey - Oct 25, 2013 at 9:01 AM

Because it’s narrative hooey and there’s no evidence that the Cardinals play more “fundamentally sound” than any other good team filled with talented players. It’s not a slag on the Cardinals but rather on the aura-building that goes on in the baseball media, while ignoring empirical data on the matter.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Oct 25, 2013 at 9:41 AM

This x1000. Especially after watching the Cardinals boot the ball around the infield, harping out how they have fundamentals seems a bit idiotic. Or another example of media driven narratives, is this piece by Jayson Stark:

Money quote:
        They don’t always hit. They don’t always score. They don’t always catch the balls you think they’ll catch them.

They just win.

I guess that’s why the series is 2-0 Cards right?

• spudchukar - Oct 25, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Terrific. The King of “small sample size” is using one game to judge the “Cardinal Way”. They committed the fewest errors in Baseball this year. Somewhat more indicative than a sloppily played game #1.

• bigmeechy74 - Oct 25, 2013 at 10:30 AM

well said

• gammagammahey - Oct 25, 2013 at 10:44 AM

Fewest errors means very little. By most other defensive metrics, they were a below-average defensive team this season and it shows. Also, they had the fewest in the NL, but not the fewest in baseball. 3 AL teams had fewer than the Cardinals. But again, errors are an outdated stat that don’t offer anything close to a complete picture when measuring actual defensive value or performance.

• spudchukar - Oct 25, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Well you are right and wrong. Certainly errors are a miserable indicator of team defense. But careful reading will tell you nobody was talking about great defense. Just making the plays your talent affords you, is the issue.

Thanks for the correction about the AL. As I was writing the “fewest errors, I was aware they were tied in the NL, and wasn’t sure if the stat was MLB or not. My bad.

And no gamma, by definition fewer errors is fundamentally sound.

• billybawl - Oct 25, 2013 at 12:32 PM

Yes, yes and yes. Do we call it the “Cardinal way” when any other team plays sound fundamental baseball? This is simply what all teams are supposed to do, and the good teams actually do more often. The Cardinals are a good team.

But it’s nice to think that team character will win you games. Makes us all think that good people who try hard are rewarded with trophies.

• chip56 - Oct 25, 2013 at 12:55 PM

But it’s not just limited to the Cardinals. Mike Redmond said that he wants the 2014 Marlins to be more fundamentally sound and “do the little things” and Gleeman mocked him for it as well.

I’m curious as to why it is that fundamentally sound baseball gets eye-rolls when it should be something that teams do?

• jm91rs - Oct 25, 2013 at 9:44 AM

It’s the small segment of vocal ‘holier than thou’ fans that cause everyone to mock. The success of the team lets people be a little louder (and a little more annoying in my opinion), but honestly the team never did anything to deserve all of the hate. It’s just the obnoxious few fans and media types that drive all of this hate.

• thenameisbootsy - Oct 25, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Yes, I just can’t for the life of me understand why Cardinals fans refuse to demonstrate the humble, almost monk-like serenity of the supporters of, say, the Yankees, the Red Sox or the Phillies.

Seriously, now. Hasn’t this ruse of a narrative gone on a bit too long?

• louhudson23 - Oct 26, 2013 at 5:03 AM

Because there is nothing in it for the spreadsheet fetishist to slaver over….which means it must be ignored,downplayed and mocked….

7. blues1988 - Oct 25, 2013 at 8:31 AM

wow, just pathetic. I dont know y I rven read articles written by this douche anymore.

8. thenameisbootsy - Oct 25, 2013 at 8:40 AM

Craig is a modern day Sisyphus, doomed to continue pushing this rock up the hill. And just like Sisyphus, Craig’s curse will never end … because the very “Cardinal way” that he mocks virtually guarantees the team a spot in every postseason. I’ll bet he’s already planning next season’s stories …

• spudchukar - Oct 25, 2013 at 11:00 AM

If anybody discovers the meth lab in Craig’s basement he will have hit the occupational trifecta. Lawyer, Blogger Troll, and Drug Dealer.

• gostlcards5 - Oct 25, 2013 at 3:13 PM

spud, I was eating my lunch when I read that. It was a good thing that I had just swallowed the bite of string cheese I was working on, because I would’ve choked.

Well done.

• spudchukar - Oct 25, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Thanks, I’m still chuckling myself.

9. cur68 - Oct 25, 2013 at 8:42 AM

Craig, I think The Best Fans In Baseball are upset with you. You seem to be pointing out that there boy, JJ, actually screwed up but his screw up caused the Sox to screw up in turn. Looking the evidence over with the dispassionate and dead eyes of a dude who’s team has been golfing for the past month, I have to call this one in your bloggy favour. WTF was JJ doing there? That ball’s caught all day. Its a weak fly ball to shallow left. Gomes is on it like flies are on his beard. Even I can see that/ How is it the pro ball player can’t tell that? JJ is lucky that Breslow panicked like George Bush Jr in a spelling bee.

• skids003 - Oct 25, 2013 at 8:47 AM

AT least he could speak without a teleprompter.

• hustleandflomax - Oct 25, 2013 at 8:47 AM

It was a gaffe, no doubt. But the hyperbole and trolling get to be a little much.

• hustleandflomax - Oct 25, 2013 at 8:52 AM

And I am just a Cardinal fan, thank you very much. Not a Best Fan In Baseball, you condescending jerk.

• hustleandflomax - Oct 25, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Ok, I apologize for calling you a jerk. I don’t know you, so I shouldn’t have said that.

• stex52 - Oct 25, 2013 at 9:18 AM

Agreed. Get to know Cur. You’ll like him. He is just mocking the media narrative.

• cur68 - Oct 25, 2013 at 3:49 PM

Thanks. I’m not so bad. Just tired after working all night. Notice also that I misused “there” for “their”? I hate it when I do that.

Anyhow, I’m not making fun of Cardinal Nation so much as the media creation of Cardinal Nation. Its kind of trying to see an obvious blunder and an error filled game 1 from such a media hyped up team. I blame McCarver more than the actual fans.

Still, even an average fan has to see that Jon Jay is Not Helping. He effed up. That it worked out for a run is his good luck and a testament to how poor Gomes’ judgement is. He SHOULD have doubled off JJ easily. Instead he threw home. He literally is responsible for BOTH errors. That ball should have been nowhere near Breslow and Saltalmachhia.

• mscxvd - Oct 25, 2013 at 9:02 AM

John Jay has not been himself this season. This is a very familiar site with Jay

• paperlions - Oct 25, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Hmmmm, it could be the “h”.

• gostlcards5 - Oct 25, 2013 at 3:17 PM

I don’t get upset with Craig (at least not much). People’s opinions are what they are. Mostly, I try to enjoy the pot-stirring and give him back a little. Too many important things going on in my life make it evident that little things like this are nothing to get upset over.

Also, I should qualify my statement by saying I am a Cardinal fan, not a BFIB. (as I now notice that hustle said above…)

10. solidstew - Oct 25, 2013 at 8:43 AM

With a short porch in left
    Tagging immediately was pointless for jay
    He did the right thing by getting off the bag
    Another dumb article by someone who never played the gAme

• paperlions - Oct 25, 2013 at 9:12 AM

When running the bases, you have to know where the throw is going.

Tagging wasn’t pointless, it was fundamental. The throw is going home to try to stop the tying run from scoring, meaning that tagging up and moving to 3rd on the play is risk free.

If you ever played the game, then you didn’t learn very much. Pretty embarrassing to call someone else dumb when you are so completely wrong.

• cur68 - Oct 25, 2013 at 3:54 PM

Does playing the game involve knowing how many outs there are? Because it should. Unless I’m mistaken (and I might be: I worked all night so I aint exactly Mr. Sharp at the moment) with the catch Gomes had the 2nd out. All he had to do was double off Jon Jay & inning over. WTF was JJ doing 1/2 of the way down the line to 3rd? Notice he DOVE back to 2nd? Know why? BECAUSE HE KNEW. He knew that if Gomes tries for him he is TOAST. How is any of that good baseball?

11. jonirocit - Oct 25, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Puig isn’t watching bro he is ridin dirty down sunset or 3 hoes deep in da club .

12. jc4455 - Oct 25, 2013 at 8:56 AM

Just remember, Calcaterra does NOT hate the Cardinals. He told us so! That’s how we know. Don’t let the 1,362 articles dripping with Cardinal hate fool you. This is the blog equivalent of throwing stuff on the field.

• bfunk1978 - Oct 25, 2013 at 9:02 AM

He picked the Cardinals to win game 1 and look how that turned out. We NEED his hate. The team feeds on it. ;)

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 25, 2013 at 9:22 AM

Man you’re screwed. Didn’t you see him predict the cards win in seven games? I mean he screwed the Phillies by picking them to win the WS in 2011 and then the NL East in 2012. By the time 2013 rolled the damage was done.

• jm91rs - Oct 25, 2013 at 9:46 AM

I had no idea he had this much power.

• pauleee - Oct 25, 2013 at 10:20 AM

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA! My team’s in the World Series and people are writing bad things about them.

There are fans of 28 other teams that wish Craig were still snarking about them.

• paperlions - Oct 25, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Exactly.

• emdash01 - Oct 25, 2013 at 4:21 PM

He’s in the business of getting comments and page views. Angry Cards fans keep giving them to him for these articles. Ergo, they’ve been pretty successful so far.

13. Florio_Jr. - Oct 25, 2013 at 9:07 AM

I’m from St. Louis. For Gods sake, quit dissecting every last thing “Cardinals way.”

14. sophiethegreatdane - Oct 25, 2013 at 9:34 AM

I saw Jay hustling back to tag second base when TV showed the replay. At the time I wondered what he was seeing that I wasn’t: the ball was clearly not hit well enough to go over the left fielder’s head, and it didn’t look like it was going to drop. It looked exactly like what it was — a shallow, easily caught fly ball to left-center. If you’re on second base and the ball is being caught — what? — sixty feet away? — why would you assume you should go, with less than two out?

I don’t care what the score is — where the ball is going, who’s on base in front of you. None of that actually matters in this situation. A runner who is already in scoring position simply can’t take a chance to make an out in this situation, regardless of where the ball is being thrown. I don’t care if it’s a 1-0 game or 10-0.

In this case, the dumb move forced a bad throw. It’s one of the reasons baseball is so much fun — you’ll always see something interesting that you’ve probably not seen before.

15. mvpcowboys - Oct 25, 2013 at 9:41 AM

First off you had Gomes throwing the ball, case closed.

16. ravensfan8780 - Oct 25, 2013 at 9:43 AM

Jay had to go half way, in that situation Fenway left field is shallow, if Gomes drops the ball right there it’s so shallow if Jay is standing on 2nd he’s out at third easy. He made the right play hustled back to second went to third because he saw Salty drop the ball. Fenway doesn’t play like most ballparks so you can’t just automatically go back to 2nd because you think it will easily be caught. Had Gomes dropped the ball and Jay was out at third we’d be on him for not going halfway on a fly ball.

• paperlions - Oct 25, 2013 at 10:16 AM

You don’t make base running decisions based on the unlikely scenario, you make them based on the most likely one. On an easy FB, 99.9% of the time it is not dropped…you don’t go 1/2 way because 0.1% of the time it works out. If Salty just catches the ball or Gomes doesn’t make a horrible throw, Jay is on 2B at the end of the play when he should have been on 3B. I am ecstatic that it worked out this way….but if he always runs the bases like that, he’ll be costing his team runs.

• spudchukar - Oct 25, 2013 at 3:06 PM

They don’t allow calculators on your possession when you are running the bases.

17. oriolesmagic69 - Oct 25, 2013 at 10:00 AM

In jays defense. its not a mistake if it wins the game. any ballplayer will tell you. its all about ws it doesnt matter how pretty they look or how u get them as long as you win. Dont believe me just ask Jon Lester and his mysterious “green glob”

• paperlions - Oct 25, 2013 at 10:14 AM

That’s moronic. Mistakes are always mistakes even if they work out. If you decide to spend all of your paycheck on the lottery and hit it big, that doesn’t change the fact that you were making a dumb decision. Getting lucky doesn’t make mistakes not mistakes. If you run the bases like that all the time you will cost your team outs and runs, which is why it was a mistake. If Boston had a decent defensive catcher playing, Jay is still on 2B at the end of that play instead of on 3B where he should have been. He (and the Cardinals) just got lucky.

• sophiethegreatdane - Oct 25, 2013 at 10:30 AM

As a fellow O’s fan, let’s represent better. A bad decision is a bad decision. You’ll never convince me that Jay “took off to purposefully induce a poor throw, allowing him to score”. The end result had him scoring, but that’s just an interesting circumstance, and not something that should be planned or even considered.

There is no way a man standing on second base should take off on a routine fly ball to left-center — just mere feet away from where he’s standing! — unless there are two outs.

• gostlcards5 - Oct 25, 2013 at 3:22 PM

Agree. I think that he had an “oh crap” moment when he realized he should’ve been tagging, then saw he had a chance to try to make up for the fact that he should’ve been on third anyway, once the ball was dropped.

Clearly, mistakes are mistakes, and the Cardinals, Jay specifically, were lucky it worked out the way it did.

18. jimmyt - Oct 25, 2013 at 10:23 AM

For having such a dumb name this paperlions dude sure knows everything.

19. cohnjusack - Oct 25, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Sigh…

It’s heartbreaking when you realize your fan base is just as thin-skinned as the Phillies fans.

For shame guys…for shame.

• stex52 - Oct 25, 2013 at 10:49 AM

Actually, I like the Phillies fan base for one thing. They self-troll. You don’t have to say anything bad; they will do it for you in spades. I enjoy jousting with them.

Speaking as someone also rooting for the Cards, I agree with you, Cohn. The fan base need to get a lot less personal about all of this.

• redbirdfan - Oct 25, 2013 at 11:04 AM

Who you callin “thin-skinned”?! Take it back!

20. Bob Loblaw - Oct 25, 2013 at 11:25 AM

The master-baiter works his magic once again. I guess when your own team gets eliminated early pretty much every time they make make the playoffs, you get good at trolling the fans of other teams. In the case of Craig, whether it’s the fans of the Phillies, the Yankees, or the Cardinals, he just can’t help himself.

One thing I am curious about is why he didn’t seem to troll the Giants fans as much. Maybe he has a man-crush on Buster Posey or something.

• mrwillie - Oct 25, 2013 at 3:02 PM

Let’s be clear about one thing, Braves fans do not buy into Craig’s “fanhood”. He’s a traveling journalist whose never even made it to the Ted. He bash’s Atl fans then claims them as his team. Of the many Braves fans I know who read this site, we wouldn’t claim him. Like most sports writers they’re journalist who happened to get a gig in sports. Most of their words aren’t worth the few kilobytes they used to post them on.

21. jrod2go - Oct 25, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Could you please start noting in the title that this is a Craig story…maybe article is a better word? I hate myself when I click and then find out. I don’t like giving the impression that I support his “style” of writing. I like opinionated pieces but his are agenda based and often nonsensical in topic. Analogy of it would be like asking Ronald McDonald for a restaurant recommendation.

22. kevinbnyc - Oct 25, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Cardinal fans sure are a sensitive bunch.

• hustleandflomax - Oct 25, 2013 at 12:32 PM

You new to the internet, Kevin? I haven’t come across a fanbase that LIKES a bunch of garbage being slung about them or their team.

• kevinbnyc - Oct 25, 2013 at 12:37 PM

Hey, I’m a Yankee fan. Fans of every other team, regardless of their differences, are united in their hatred of the Yankees. It’s just kind of nice to see some garbage being slung towards another team for a change.

• gostlcards5 - Oct 25, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I would gladly welcome the garbage-slinging to continue at the Cardinals if they continue to win WS’s and get anywhere near the ballpark of the NYY. :)

23. Uncle Charlie - Oct 25, 2013 at 1:05 PM

And yet they still read the articles and feel compelled to comment. Cardinal fans are more insecure than Nationals fans when natitude was being trolled. I love it, Cardinal way!

• hustleandflomax - Oct 25, 2013 at 2:05 PM

I’ll never understand why people get off on pushing folks’ buttons.

24. howieK - Oct 25, 2013 at 1:51 PM

A regular baseball fan here and I can’t stand reading these pointless, angry articles. This used to be my favorite site to come to about baseball news, but Craig, you’re just a dick.
    And coming off less like a journalist and more like someone who’s not a nice, good person. This feels like some bitter fan grasping for an angle to put down another team or city. There is very little that resembles journalism here. Write an article about how awesome Pedrioa’s defense has been. Write an article about how there’s a baby pedro and compare him to the original Pedro. Write an article about the BoSawwx beards for christ sake. I just don’t understand why you have to write articles where you’re just a dick. Just be nice, man. Have some integrity in what you put out into the world.

• mrwillie - Oct 25, 2013 at 3:26 PM

Glad I am not the only one who feels that way.

• bdickey33 - Oct 25, 2013 at 4:07 PM

The amazing thing is that the pot shots are incorrect 1/2 the time.

• cur68 - Oct 25, 2013 at 4:09 PM

I can understand why you’d want such things. What I don’t understand is why you don’t just head over to Fox sports for them. Or any of a dozen other media sources. Those articles are out there IN SPADES.

Also, no one BLOGGING here is a journalist. Craig and Co. are bloggers. They Blog The Right Way. They seem to delight in mocking media narrative, not fans so much. This whole “Best Fans” thing has McCarver & Co.’s oily fingerprints all over it, so its BEGGING to be mocked. The whole “Cardinal’s Way” baloney has been written up AT LENGTH by Card’s Cheering “journalists”. All that’s going on over in this blog is a take down of those journalists and media outlets by using actual evidence.

So its Evidence Based Blogging vs Fairy Tale Journalism and you want Fairy Tales? Fine. Head for Fox then. They got your pablum all warmed up.

25. savior72 - Oct 25, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Eff the Yankees

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. M. Cuddyer (3174)