Oct 25, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
This is fun. The crazy sequence where Craig Breslow threw away the ball when he tried to get Jon Jay at third base last night? The one that resulted in the go-ahead and what proved to be the winning run scoring? The only reason that happened is because Jon Jay failed to play baseball The Cardinal Way.
Watch the v45 second mark of the video here, when Matt Carpenter hits the fly ball to left field. Specifically, watch Jay at second base. Even more specifically, watch him fail to tag up on what almost everyone should have seen was a fly ball that was going to be caught:
As a result of not tagging up, Jay could not run to third simultaneously with Pete Kozma who was tagging up from third and running home. He has to scamper back to second, tag, and then go to third. Since he was running late to third, Breslow thought he had a shot, threw the ball away and then Jay scored.
Of course Carlos Beltran then came up and singled in Descalso, who also advanced on the play, and if Jay had been standing on third as fundamentally sound baseball would have had him do, it would have been him who scored. Still, the defining play of that game — the place where the wheels fell off for the Red Sox — was the result of some decidedly non-heads up baserunning by Jay.
Irresponsible baserunning. A bad throw. Man, somewhere, Yasiel Puig was watching this all and smiling.
- The schedule: if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Eduardo Rodriguez dazzles in major league debut 17
- Masahiro Tanaka expected to rejoin Yankees next week 4
- Alex Rodriguez is the all-time AL RBI champion. Sorta. 76
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 86
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 61
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 29