Oct 26, 2013, 8:32 PM EDT
Jake Peavy went into his start in Game 3 of the World Series hoping to improve on his last start in which he allowed seven runs in three innings of work against the Tigers in Game 4 of the ALCS. The Cardinals aren’t playing nice, as they quickly got to Peavy in the bottom of the first inning in Game 3 of the World Series.
Matt Carpenter led off with a single. Carlos Beltran worked the count to 3-1, then curiously laid a bunt down to the left side of the pitcher’s mound. Ostensibly it was an attempt to reach base, but Peavy retrieved the ball and threw Beltran out by a few inches as Carpenter moved to second base. (Ken Rosenthal reported during the broadcast that Beltran didn’t feel as comfortable batting left-handed as he does right-handed due to the rib injury sustained in Game 1.) Holliday followed up by slashing a line drive to right field, scoring Carpenter to put the Cardinals up 1-0.
The Cardinals kept the rally going as Matt Adams hit a grounder through the hole to right field, then Yadier Molina ripped a single just over third baseman Xander Bogaerts into left field, scoring Holliday to move the score to 2-0. David Freese lined out to right and Jon Jay grounded out to second to end the frame.
Peavy needed 21 pitches to get through the first inning. Cardinals starter Joe Kelly pitched a perfect top half of the first inning on 11 pitches.
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 141
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 66
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 36
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (154)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)