Cardinals waste no time, take 2-0 lead over the Red Sox in the first inning of Game 3

Oct 26, 2013, 8:32 PM EDT

World Series - Boston Red Sox v St Louis Cardinals - Game Three Getty Images

Jake Peavy went into his start in Game 3 of the World Series hoping to improve on his last start in which he allowed seven runs in three innings of work against the Tigers in Game 4 of the ALCS. The Cardinals aren’t playing nice, as they quickly got to Peavy in the bottom of the first inning in Game 3 of the World Series.

Matt Carpenter led off with a single. Carlos Beltran worked the count to 3-1, then curiously laid a bunt down to the left side of the pitcher’s mound. Ostensibly it was an attempt to reach base, but Peavy retrieved the ball and threw Beltran out by a few inches as Carpenter moved to second base. (Ken Rosenthal reported during the broadcast that Beltran didn’t feel as comfortable batting left-handed as he does right-handed due to the rib injury sustained in Game 1.) Holliday followed up by slashing a line drive to right field, scoring Carpenter to put the Cardinals up 1-0.

The Cardinals kept the rally going as Matt Adams hit a grounder through the hole to right field, then Yadier Molina ripped a single just over third baseman Xander Bogaerts into left field, scoring Holliday to move the score to 2-0. David Freese lined out to right and Jon Jay grounded out to second to end the frame.

Peavy needed 21 pitches to get through the first inning. Cardinals starter Joe Kelly pitched a perfect top half of the first inning on 11 pitches.

1. proudlycanadian - Oct 26, 2013 at 8:39 PM

I have been trying to think of something nice to say about Peavy. The best I can come up with is that e has been consistent in the playoffs this season.

• theskinsman - Oct 26, 2013 at 8:57 PM

As I posted earlier,I’m more worried about Peavy than Bucholz. This isn’t looking good so far.

2. okobojicat - Oct 26, 2013 at 8:50 PM

MLB.com gameday has Kelly throwing 98/97 consistently. Is he really throwing that hard?

• paperlions - Oct 26, 2013 at 9:10 PM

His average FB velocity this year was 95.2, I think that was something like 10th best in baseball among pitcher with 100+ IP. So, yeah, he throws hard…but that seems a bit high, unless he’s just letting loose figuring on going 5 innings max.

3. unclemosesgreen - Oct 26, 2013 at 9:03 PM

My brother says Peavy looks like an angry Jeremy Renner – I’m totally feeling that.

• paperlions - Oct 26, 2013 at 9:12 PM

I assume you mean “angrier Jeremy Renner”.

• unclemosesgreen - Oct 26, 2013 at 9:13 PM

Maybe a bit of typecasting there – I don’t know the man.

• paperlions - Oct 26, 2013 at 9:20 PM

I just mean that he already kinda looks a big angry, doesn’t he? I don’t mean that he is angry, just that he looks it.

• unclemosesgreen - Oct 26, 2013 at 9:21 PM

He’s often cast as an angry guy. I associate him with his character in The Town – gonna be tough for me to see him as any other character

• paperlions - Oct 26, 2013 at 9:29 PM

I haven’t seen that yet….I always think of him as the guy from Hurt Locker.

• unclemosesgreen - Oct 26, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Then he was the new ‘not Jason Bourne’

• paperlions - Oct 26, 2013 at 9:31 PM

Yeah, but that movie pretty boring and disappointing.

• unclemosesgreen - Oct 26, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Yeah it was dull – I kept waiting for him to bust out in a Lowell, Massachusetts accent. Needless to say I was disappointed.

4. chiadam - Oct 26, 2013 at 9:08 PM

Can Fox please stop doing these stupid damn interviews during innings??? Please?? Let me sum them up: every player they talk to thinks all his teammates are the best. Now shut the hell up.

5. wilkisoft - Oct 26, 2013 at 10:22 PM

“that Peavy guy looks a lot like the guy that played Hawkeye in ‘The Avengers'” – my Wife

Orioles turn AL East on its head