Oct 26, 2013, 8:32 PM EDT
Jake Peavy went into his start in Game 3 of the World Series hoping to improve on his last start in which he allowed seven runs in three innings of work against the Tigers in Game 4 of the ALCS. The Cardinals aren’t playing nice, as they quickly got to Peavy in the bottom of the first inning in Game 3 of the World Series.
Matt Carpenter led off with a single. Carlos Beltran worked the count to 3-1, then curiously laid a bunt down to the left side of the pitcher’s mound. Ostensibly it was an attempt to reach base, but Peavy retrieved the ball and threw Beltran out by a few inches as Carpenter moved to second base. (Ken Rosenthal reported during the broadcast that Beltran didn’t feel as comfortable batting left-handed as he does right-handed due to the rib injury sustained in Game 1.) Holliday followed up by slashing a line drive to right field, scoring Carpenter to put the Cardinals up 1-0.
The Cardinals kept the rally going as Matt Adams hit a grounder through the hole to right field, then Yadier Molina ripped a single just over third baseman Xander Bogaerts into left field, scoring Holliday to move the score to 2-0. David Freese lined out to right and Jon Jay grounded out to second to end the frame.
Peavy needed 21 pitches to get through the first inning. Cardinals starter Joe Kelly pitched a perfect top half of the first inning on 11 pitches.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 0
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 15
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 42
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing 99
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 64
- Cardinals “looking for offense” … not Jake Peavy 32
- 2014 Home Run Derby participants … 28
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (126)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)