Oct 26, 2013, 10:29 PM EDT
Daniel Nava, getting a much-anticipated start in left field over Jonny Gomes, delivered a game-tying RBI single in the sixth inning. Some would argue that Cardinals manager Mike Matheny deserves half of Nava’s credit, though.
The inning started off innocently enough as Shane Victorino drew a walk off of Cardinals starter Joe Kelly. Dustin Pedroia hit a sharp line dive down the left field line but it was snagged by David Freese. With David Ortiz coming up and Randy Choate warmed up in the bullpen, Matheny removed Kelly from the game for the lefty-on-lefty match-up. Down in the count 1-2, Ortiz singled to the right of first baseman Matt Adams, sending Victorino to third base.
The switch-hitting Nava was in the on-deck circle but Matheny decided to go to right-hander Seth Maness in the hopes that he could generate an inning-ending double play. On the first pitch Maness threw, an 89 MPH sinker, Nava ripped it into left field for an RBI single, tying the game up at 2-2. Xander Bogaerts gave Maness the ground ball double play he was looking for, just a batter too late, going 4-6-3 to end the inning.
Both teams’ starters are out of the game now, making the rest of the game a battle of the bullpens. Jake Peavy‘s night ended with a line that read: 4 IP, 2 ER, 6 H, 1 BB, 4 K. Kelly’s line read: 5.1 IP, 2 ER, 2 H, 3 BB, 6 K.
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple 28
- Yankees activate Mark Teixeira from the disabled list 0
- Ivan Nova diagnosed with a partially torn ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow 21
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 92
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (127)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (99)