Oct 26, 2013, 10:29 PM EST
Daniel Nava, getting a much-anticipated start in left field over Jonny Gomes, delivered a game-tying RBI single in the sixth inning. Some would argue that Cardinals manager Mike Matheny deserves half of Nava’s credit, though.
The inning started off innocently enough as Shane Victorino drew a walk off of Cardinals starter Joe Kelly. Dustin Pedroia hit a sharp line dive down the left field line but it was snagged by David Freese. With David Ortiz coming up and Randy Choate warmed up in the bullpen, Matheny removed Kelly from the game for the lefty-on-lefty match-up. Down in the count 1-2, Ortiz singled to the right of first baseman Matt Adams, sending Victorino to third base.
The switch-hitting Nava was in the on-deck circle but Matheny decided to go to right-hander Seth Maness in the hopes that he could generate an inning-ending double play. On the first pitch Maness threw, an 89 MPH sinker, Nava ripped it into left field for an RBI single, tying the game up at 2-2. Xander Bogaerts gave Maness the ground ball double play he was looking for, just a batter too late, going 4-6-3 to end the inning.
Both teams’ starters are out of the game now, making the rest of the game a battle of the bullpens. Jake Peavy‘s night ended with a line that read: 4 IP, 2 ER, 6 H, 1 BB, 4 K. Kelly’s line read: 5.1 IP, 2 ER, 2 H, 3 BB, 6 K.
- Dodgers re-sign left-handed reliever J.P. Howell to a two-year, $11.5 million contract 1
- Cubs sign reliever Jose Veras to one-year pact 1
- Report: MLB recorded record revenues in 2013 32
- The Yankees agree to a one-year, $2 million deal with Brian Roberts 70
- Diamondbacks trade for White Sox closer Addison Reed 28
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (135)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)
- Hall of Fame voting expert: Greg Maddux makes it. No one else does. (105)
- Robinson Cano, Yankees trade barbs about “disrespect” (104)
- Two thoughts about the elimination of home plate collisions (95)