John Farrell may use Mike Napoli as a late-game defensive replacement at first base

Oct 26, 2013, 8:05 PM EDT

mike napoli red sox getty Getty Images

Now playing under National League rules, Red Sox manager John Farrell has opted to start David Ortiz at first base over Mike Napoli, at least in Game 3 of the World Series. While Napoli has hit well for the Red Sox throughout the post-season, Ortiz has out-done him, homering in the first two games against the Cardinals, to boot. Ortiz certainly lacks the defensive skill set to be reliable at first base, but the hope is that he’ll outhit his deficiencies with the glove.

Farrell did express consternation with the correct way to utilize Napoli off the bench:

Though the thought of Napoli as a “defensive” replacement seems odd, advanced defensive statistics graded him well:

Additionally, according to Ken Rosenthal of FOX Sports, Napoli took grounders at third base, creating speculation that Farrell is getting creative with ways to get both bats in the lineup.

And people think the DH is great. The endless lineup strategy is exhilarating!

1. tfbuckfutter - Oct 26, 2013 at 8:31 PM

May I suggest he start using Stephen Drew as an early game defensive replacement of the buffet spread in the clubhouse?

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 26, 2013 at 9:39 PM

I like how they just had a meeting on the mound to discuss how to handle Stephen Drew with 2 men on.

I’m pretty sure the coach said “Just throw the ball in his direction and everything will be fine.”

2. proudlycanadian - Oct 26, 2013 at 8:41 PM

I want to see Napoli play third base.

• sabatimus - Oct 26, 2013 at 8:48 PM

I don’t.

3. theskinsman - Oct 26, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I’d like to know if you pushed Drew off a boat,if he could hit the water.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 26, 2013 at 9:54 PM

I enjoyed him shaking his head after striking out.

You couldn’t believe what everyone knew was going to happen happened?

I guess that is why he’s been so terrible. He’s really easy to surprise.

• theskinsman - Oct 27, 2013 at 1:22 PM

I hope Drew sits tonight. I feel bad for him, but Farrell has to wake up and sit guys who can’t hit!

4. joecool16280 - Oct 26, 2013 at 10:07 PM

The beards are so cool and not annoying at all.

Says no one.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 26, 2013 at 10:28 PM

Worrying about other men’s grooming habits is totally cool and not maybe a little gay at all.

5. joecool16280 - Oct 26, 2013 at 10:46 PM

So says the guy with a name like that.

Better sort those “issues” out buddy. I’m sure your parents will still love you.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 26, 2013 at 10:55 PM

First, the name implies multiple things….perhaps I just dislike butter and prefer margarine.

Second, even if it is referring to the thing you assume it is referring to….While perhaps completely unfamiliar in a hands-on way with the female anatomy….you ARE aware they also have butts, right?

6. joecool16280 - Oct 26, 2013 at 11:07 PM

Sure…go with that.

This is deteriorating fast.

Mature and classy name though!

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 26, 2013 at 11:33 PM

k “joecool”…

I love your boxer shorts.

Harper vs. Trout? It's just the opening act