Oct 26, 2013, 9:52 PM EDT
Red Sox rookie phenom Xander Bogaerts helped the Red Sox finally get to Cardinals starter Joe Kelly in the fifth inning of Game 3. The 21-year-old hit a slicing liner to right-center, tailing away from center fielder Jon Jay. Right fielder Carlos Beltran gave chase and attempted to cut it off after it landed, but the ball skipped under his glove to the wall. Bogaerts raced around to third base with ease for a lead-off triple. Jarrod Saltalamacchia drew a walk to set up runners on the corners with no outs.
As quickly as they had set themselves up with a golden opportunity, the Red Sox appeared just as eager to see it disappear. Stephen Drew struck out, meaning the Cardinals were one ground ball double play from escaping danger. They almost got it, as Mike Carp hit a slow chopper to second base, but Matt Carpenter could only get the out at second base as Bogaerts scored to make it 2-1 in favor of the Cardinals. Jacoby Ellsbury struck out on a 96 MPH fastball to end the inning.
Xander Bogaerts is 3rd-youngest player with a triple in World Series history. Ty Cobb & Mickey Mantle were the only ones younger to do so.
— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) October 27, 2013
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 15
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 18
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Brian Matusz was ejected for having a foreign substance on his arm 37
- Josh Hamilton will join the Rangers on Monday 6
- UPDATE: David Wright diagnosed with spinal stenosis 23
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 39
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)