Oct 26, 2013, 9:52 PM EDT
Red Sox rookie phenom Xander Bogaerts helped the Red Sox finally get to Cardinals starter Joe Kelly in the fifth inning of Game 3. The 21-year-old hit a slicing liner to right-center, tailing away from center fielder Jon Jay. Right fielder Carlos Beltran gave chase and attempted to cut it off after it landed, but the ball skipped under his glove to the wall. Bogaerts raced around to third base with ease for a lead-off triple. Jarrod Saltalamacchia drew a walk to set up runners on the corners with no outs.
As quickly as they had set themselves up with a golden opportunity, the Red Sox appeared just as eager to see it disappear. Stephen Drew struck out, meaning the Cardinals were one ground ball double play from escaping danger. They almost got it, as Mike Carp hit a slow chopper to second base, but Matt Carpenter could only get the out at second base as Bogaerts scored to make it 2-1 in favor of the Cardinals. Jacoby Ellsbury struck out on a 96 MPH fastball to end the inning.
Xander Bogaerts is 3rd-youngest player with a triple in World Series history. Ty Cobb & Mickey Mantle were the only ones younger to do so.
— ESPN Stats & Info (@ESPNStatsInfo) October 27, 2013
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 8
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 22
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 10
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 79
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 91
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (91)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)