Oct 26, 2013, 5:24 PM EDT
We learned yesterday that former Mariners manager Eric Wedge is going to interview for the Cubs’ manager job next week, but it appears that there could be some early favorites among the other candidates.
Hinch and Renteria both currently work for the Padres. Hinch, who previously managed the Diamondbacks in 2009-2010, serves as assistant GM with San Diego. Renteria has been on the major league staff with the Padres for past six seasons, including the last three as bench coach.
While the Cubs have also met with former Indians and Nationals manager Manny Acta and Rays bench coach Dave Martinez, it’s unclear if any future interviews are scheduled. Red Sox bench coach Torey Lovullo is reportedly on the club’s radar, but they would likely have to wait until after the World Series in order to talk to him.
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 13
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 13
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 33
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)