Oct 26, 2013, 5:24 PM EDT
We learned yesterday that former Mariners manager Eric Wedge is going to interview for the Cubs’ manager job next week, but it appears that there could be some early favorites among the other candidates.
Hinch and Renteria both currently work for the Padres. Hinch, who previously managed the Diamondbacks in 2009-2010, serves as assistant GM with San Diego. Renteria has been on the major league staff with the Padres for past six seasons, including the last three as bench coach.
While the Cubs have also met with former Indians and Nationals manager Manny Acta and Rays bench coach Dave Martinez, it’s unclear if any future interviews are scheduled. Red Sox bench coach Torey Lovullo is reportedly on the club’s radar, but they would likely have to wait until after the World Series in order to talk to him.
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 7
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 83
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 75
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 72
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 59
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (87)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (76)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)