Oct 26, 2013, 5:24 PM EDT
We learned yesterday that former Mariners manager Eric Wedge is going to interview for the Cubs’ manager job next week, but it appears that there could be some early favorites among the other candidates.
Hinch and Renteria both currently work for the Padres. Hinch, who previously managed the Diamondbacks in 2009-2010, serves as assistant GM with San Diego. Renteria has been on the major league staff with the Padres for past six seasons, including the last three as bench coach.
While the Cubs have also met with former Indians and Nationals manager Manny Acta and Rays bench coach Dave Martinez, it’s unclear if any future interviews are scheduled. Red Sox bench coach Torey Lovullo is reportedly on the club’s radar, but they would likely have to wait until after the World Series in order to talk to him.
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 0
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 3
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 5
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 21
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 88
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)