Oct 26, 2013, 12:02 PM EST
The Nationals must have received the group discount.
Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com passes along word that Stephen Strasburg, Bryce Harper, and Adam LaRoche all underwent surgery in recent days. Fortunately for the Nationals, all of them appear to be minor.
Strasburg had surgery yesterday to remove bone chips from his right elbow. The 25-year-old is expected to resume throwing in 4-6 weeks, so assuming no setbacks, he should be fine for the start of spring training. He posted a 3.00 ERA and 191/56 K/BB ratio over a career-high 183 innings this season and managed to finish out the year despite a bout of forearm tightness in early September. This is the second elbow surgery of his career, as he required Tommy John surgery during his rookie season in 2010.
Harper underwent surgery Wednesday to debride and repair the bursa sac in his left knee, which he injured crashing into the right field wall at Dodger Stadium on May 13. He’ll also require 4-6 weeks of recovery time, so it shouldn’t have an impact on his readiness for 2014. The 21-year-old outfielder batted .274/.368/.486 with 20 home runs, 58 RBI, and 11 stolen bases in 118 games this year.
LaRoche had surgery on Wednesday to remove loose bodies from his left elbow. Like Strasburg and Harper, he’ll need 4-6 weeks of recovery time. The 33-year-old first baseman hit .237 with 20 home runs and a career-low .735 OPS in 152 games this season and will enter 2014 in the final year of a two-year, $24 million contract.
Feb 26, 2015, 5:17 PM EST
“I think hanging it up is going to be harder for guys than they realize, after being out of it for a year.”
Feb 26, 2015, 3:40 PM EST
But it’s a very different kind of battle.
Feb 26, 2015, 3:18 PM EST
Milwaukee out, Toronto in?
Feb 26, 2015, 2:06 PM EST
Shame on A-Rod for making the reporters obsess about him.
Feb 26, 2015, 1:34 PM EST
Maybe THIS is the year he finally stops swinging at everything
Feb 26, 2015, 1:19 PM EST
Wainwright has been diagnosed with an abdominal strain.
Feb 26, 2015, 12:30 PM EST
It’s been two and a half years, but it still leaves a “dirty taste” in his mouth.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:47 AM EST
Pena once looked like a potential star for the Reds and Red Sox, but then washed out by age 26.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:32 AM EST
He also (a) wants to emulate Greg Maddux; and (b) asked Sandy Koufax about his curveball.
Feb 26, 2015, 11:00 AM EST
Welcome to 2002, Ruben Amaro!
Feb 26, 2015, 10:49 AM EST
It’s still early, but …
Feb 26, 2015, 10:23 AM EST
Two weeks ago Francisco Rodriguez was said to be holding out for a two-year contract.
Feb 26, 2015, 10:04 AM EST
The Marins are protecting their investment.
Feb 26, 2015, 9:37 AM EST
Even if Mike Lupica thinks they will be soon.
Feb 26, 2015, 9:00 AM EST
Spring training is starting poorly for Toronto.
Feb 26, 2015, 8:29 AM EST
I am confident that Major League Baseball will help Josh Hamilton find the help he needs. I do hope, however, that whatever else they do to him does not contribute to the tendency to treat addicts as miscreants.
Matt Kemp thinks the Padres have the best outfield in baseball. I don’t think he’s right about that.
Feb 26, 2015, 7:32 AM EST
He’s forgetting, it seems, that outfields also play defense.
Feb 25, 2015, 11:05 PM EST
Mark Ellis told Susan Slusser of the San Francisco Chronicle late Wednesday evening that he is retiring from baseball after 12 major league seasons.
Feb 25, 2015, 10:34 PM EST
Most people are high on the Nationals this season, but outfielder Bryce Harper might be the highest of all. Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com spoke with Harper on Wednesday …
Feb 25, 2015, 9:21 PM EST
Andrew McCutchen is currently under contract with the Pittsburgh Pirates through the 2018 season, but the club is already looking well into the future and they want to make sure the star outfielder remains a major part of it.
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 7
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 245
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 16
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 85
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 48
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 130
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 66
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training 113
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (247)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (130)
- Yankees fans: would you give up the 2009 title just to be rid of A-Rod? (122)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (113)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)