Oct 26, 2013, 11:11 AM EDT
Coke is coming off a miserable season in which he posted a 5.40 ERA and 30/21 K/BB ratio over 38 1/3 innings. Miscast for the closer role, the 31-year-old southpaw struggled with early save chances before hitting the disabled list with a groin injury and continued poor command lead to a demotion to Triple-A Toledo in August. He rejoined the big club a couple of weeks later, but then dealt with some elbow issues and didn’t make it back until the ALCS.
Coke earned $1.85 million in 2013 and will be arbitration-eligible for the final time this winter. The Tigers might prefer to cut him loose rather than give him another raise, but he could be a useful piece somewhere if used properly and his health cooperates.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract 153
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)