Oct 26, 2013, 11:11 AM EDT
Coke is coming off a miserable season in which he posted a 5.40 ERA and 30/21 K/BB ratio over 38 1/3 innings. Miscast for the closer role, the 31-year-old southpaw struggled with early save chances before hitting the disabled list with a groin injury and continued poor command lead to a demotion to Triple-A Toledo in August. He rejoined the big club a couple of weeks later, but then dealt with some elbow issues and didn’t make it back until the ALCS.
Coke earned $1.85 million in 2013 and will be arbitration-eligible for the final time this winter. The Tigers might prefer to cut him loose rather than give him another raise, but he could be a useful piece somewhere if used properly and his health cooperates.
- Your Official HardballTalk World Series Preview 0
- World Series Reset: Game 1 — finally! — is tonight 10
- HBT Daily: How the Royals and Giants were built 4
- Two radio stations in San Francisco are refusing to play Lorde’s “Royals” during the World Series 40
- Royals tab James Shields, Yordano Ventura to start first two games of World Series 1
- Brian Roberts is retiring 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? 119
- Video: Watch Travis Ishikawa’s pennant-winning homer 13
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (119)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (104)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- Andrew Friedman leaving the Rays to take over as Dodgers President of Baseball Operations (83)
- Quit making a big deal out of anomalies. Most of what happens is meaningless. (82)