Oct 26, 2013, 11:11 AM EDT
Coke is coming off a miserable season in which he posted a 5.40 ERA and 30/21 K/BB ratio over 38 1/3 innings. Miscast for the closer role, the 31-year-old southpaw struggled with early save chances before hitting the disabled list with a groin injury and continued poor command lead to a demotion to Triple-A Toledo in August. He rejoined the big club a couple of weeks later, but then dealt with some elbow issues and didn’t make it back until the ALCS.
Coke earned $1.85 million in 2013 and will be arbitration-eligible for the final time this winter. The Tigers might prefer to cut him loose rather than give him another raise, but he could be a useful piece somewhere if used properly and his health cooperates.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 0
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 0
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 49
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)