Oct 26, 2013, 8:57 AM EST
Jim Leyland announced his retirement earlier this week after eight seasons in Detroit. The Tigers are moving quickly to find a replacement.
Chris Iott of MLive.com reports that Dodgers third base coach Tim Wallach met with Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski and three members of the front office yesterday. FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal was the first to connect the Tigers and Wallach earlier this week while Jonah Keri of Grantland wrote last night that talks were “escalating.”
Wallach confirmed that the interview took place and believes that his familiarity with Dombrowski could make for a smooth transition.
“I thought it went well,” Wallach told MLive.com via text message just after midnight Saturday upon returning to his home in Yorba Linda, Calif. “They are a very good ballclub and I know how Dave works. He was my general manager in Montreal.”
Lloyd McClendon, the hitting coach for the Tigers for the past eight years, is the only other known candidate to interview thus far. While Wallach doesn’t have managerial experience in the majors like McClendon, he managed the Dodgers’ Triple-A affiliate in 2009 and 2010. He was a candidate for Boston’s managerial opening last offseason before the club hired John Farrell.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 25
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 26
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 374
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (374)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)