Oct 26, 2013, 8:57 AM EDT
Jim Leyland announced his retirement earlier this week after eight seasons in Detroit. The Tigers are moving quickly to find a replacement.
Chris Iott of MLive.com reports that Dodgers third base coach Tim Wallach met with Tigers general manager Dave Dombrowski and three members of the front office yesterday. FOX Sports’ Ken Rosenthal was the first to connect the Tigers and Wallach earlier this week while Jonah Keri of Grantland wrote last night that talks were “escalating.”
Wallach confirmed that the interview took place and believes that his familiarity with Dombrowski could make for a smooth transition.
“I thought it went well,” Wallach told MLive.com via text message just after midnight Saturday upon returning to his home in Yorba Linda, Calif. “They are a very good ballclub and I know how Dave works. He was my general manager in Montreal.”
Lloyd McClendon, the hitting coach for the Tigers for the past eight years, is the only other known candidate to interview thus far. While Wallach doesn’t have managerial experience in the majors like McClendon, he managed the Dodgers’ Triple-A affiliate in 2009 and 2010. He was a candidate for Boston’s managerial opening last offseason before the club hired John Farrell.
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 2
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 30
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 4
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 13
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 12
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 101
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)