What do Brandon Workman and Graeme Lloyd have in common?

Oct 26, 2013, 11:56 PM EDT

Neither is in my kitchen. I kid.

ESPN’s Mark Simon posted this fascinating bit of Trivia on Twitter a few minutes ago, after Red Sox reliever Brandon Workman had stepped into the batter’s box in the ninth inning of a tie game against Trevor Rosenthal. Workman, of course, struck out looking.

Baseball!

As of this writing, Workman is on the mound in his second inning of relief for John Farrell’s Red Sox.

1. sabatimus - Oct 27, 2013 at 12:09 AM

Just when you thought Farrell couldn’t be any more stupid. Workman comes back out in the 9th, gets one out, and once the first baserunner gets on Farrell calls for Uehara. If that was going to be the case, PINCH HIT NAPOLI for crying out bloody sake!

• proudlycanadian - Oct 27, 2013 at 9:40 AM

As a Blue Jay fan, I am quite amused. I was under the impression that Farrell was the leading candidate for the Manager Of The Year Award. I also remember a pre season comment by an anonymous Blue Jay player to an anonymous Red Sox player, that under pressure Farrell panics.

2. jdouble777 - Oct 27, 2013 at 12:10 AM

I am a Nationals fan.

That is the most disgusting pathetic end to any World Series game I have eve witnessed. When sliding into someone get’s you a call that wins a game in the World Series we have a game that could not withstand the test of time.

This is a sad day in baseball. Not for either team involved, but for baseball…. Cards probably won the game, eventually, without that call; however, a call was made tonight that……………….

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 27, 2013 at 12:11 AM

I just said in another post, I’m all for trashing Middlebrooks.. but I don’t know.. that was a.. that was something alright. Wow.

• jdouble777 - Oct 27, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Sure, Will’s lack of elite instincts resulted in the first two runs but that is irrelevant in the point I am making.

I don’t care who won this game. Why I am pissed!? I spent (4) hours on my Saturday night to watch heroics and a legit fall classic conclude in absolute nonsense. This was a disgrace to a sport I care immensely about.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Oct 27, 2013 at 12:13 AM

Even if he doesn’t lift his legs Craig runs into him. Still, seeing a WS game end on what was a pretty unintentional obstruction is tough. Sox are playing mad as hell tomorrow night.

• sabatimus - Oct 27, 2013 at 12:13 AM

I’m struggling to find your point.

• jdouble777 - Oct 27, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Who are you referring to? My point was that a horrible call ended an amazing game tonight. 1943’s point is that the same call he/she felt was also horrendous in that is was obviously “unintentional” and horrid. Peter was pissed a Middlebrook’s inability to make a tough but somewhat routine MLB 3B play that cost BOS two runs.

What are your missing?

• sabatimus - Oct 27, 2013 at 12:18 AM

See below: the call was correct. Middlebrooks lifted his legs to obstruct, and it worked. Not only that, what the hell is Saltalamacchia doing throwing that ball in the first place? If he misses it’s game over anyway. And he missed. It was a terrible throw.

• sabatimus - Oct 27, 2013 at 12:15 AM

Obstruction was the right call. The wrong call was Saltalamacchia throwing the damn ball to 3rd. If he misses, the game is over. And he missed.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 27, 2013 at 12:17 AM

That is absolutely true.

Hey Boston, you’ve now lost two fucking games because of throws from home to third.

HOLD THE GODDAMN RUNNER. ITS OK.

• jdouble777 - Oct 27, 2013 at 12:18 AM

The right call!? Do you know the definition of this rule? It is meant for people that go WAY, I mean WAY out of line stopping double plays at 2B.

Anyway…..

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 27, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Read the rule book dude. And when you are done…read it again. Once you have done that…read it again. It is obvious you struggle. So read it again. Then…when you start to do something else…read the motherphuqer again.

Having said that…
      Tough…tough…terrible loss for the Red Sox. As a Cardinals fan…I would be pissed should the tables have been turned. Certainly tough to swallow. But what do you do? It is/was…a textbook call. But bright siding it…the Red Sox counter punch….counter punch…counter punch then knock your ass out like Joe Lewis. This game should have been over looooong before the obstruction. But Boston keeps pounding, grinding, fighting, clawing, scraping their asses till’ the bitter end. You guys just wont go away. I love Dustin Pedroia. I have said it many times before. But I also love the scrap in your team.
      This is one hell of a World Series. I love Baseball more than anything else.

Qualification:
      I broke a personal rule about posting while intoxicated.

3. tfbuckfutter - Oct 27, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Hm.

Maybe after the “trip” he easily could have gone back to third. Why did he even run at that point?

I don’t know how I feel about the call.

• daveloewe - Oct 27, 2013 at 12:21 AM

Craig was awarded home plate. The game was over as soon as Joyce called it.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 27, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Thanks for the correction.

No snark. I really appreciate the correction to my mistake.

4. apkyletexas - Oct 27, 2013 at 12:14 AM

Oh my!! Get out the straight jackets for Boston!

5. KR - Oct 27, 2013 at 12:16 AM

What a joke. The NL needs to move into the 70s and adopt the DH.

6. paperlions - Oct 27, 2013 at 12:17 AM

It is unfortunate (especially for Boston) that the game ended on an obstruction call, but it was really a pretty easy obstruction call. If you are a fielder in the base line and you trip a runner, it is obstruction. It is obstruction in April, it is obstruction in August….it isn’t suddenly not obstruction because it is the bottom of the 9th in a WS game.

Great play by Pedroia. His defense is just phenomenal.

• jdouble777 - Oct 27, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Wow. Your commitment to making this comment is hurting our game. I hope it was worth it.

• paperlions - Oct 27, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Uh huh. It is hurting “our” game? Well, you know, fielders laying in the baseline tripping runners made for an ugly ending to a baseball game. Do you know the rules of baseball? Because it was an easy call and a call that would always be made….as soon as it happened both the 3rd base and home plate umps signaled obstruction….because, you know….by definition, it was obstruction….that is, without the fielder obstructing the ability of the runner to advance, the runner would have safely done so.

Your lack of familiarity with the rules of baseball is hurting our comment section. I hope it was worth it.

7. jdouble777 - Oct 27, 2013 at 12:21 AM

8. jackrabbit56 - Oct 27, 2013 at 8:19 AM

Love the Cliff Clavin on Jeopardy reference!

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. J. Soler (3296)