Oct 26, 2013, 4:40 PM EDT
Lineups for Game 3 of the World Series at Busch Stadium …
As expected, David Ortiz is making the start at first base while Mike Napoli is on the bench with the designated hitter unavailable under National League rules. It hurts to sit Napoli, but the Red Sox can’t afford to be without Ortiz right now. The veteran slugger has five homers in 13 games this postseason, including one in each of the first two games of the World Series. The other notable changes include Daniel Nava in left field over Jonny Gomes and Xander Bogaerts being moved up to the No. 6 spot in the order. Stephen Drew remains in the lineup despite hitting just .095 (4-for-42) with a 15/1 K/BB ratio this postseason.
No designated hitter means that Allen Craig will be on the bench to begin Game 3. He has taken some ground balls at first base in recent days, but the Cardinals don’t want to rush him back into the field and cause a setback with his foot. Carlos Beltran is in the lineup after he went 2-for-4 with an RBI single Thursday in his return from a severe rib contusion. Meanwhile, Pete Kozma is back in the lineup after Daniel Descalso made the start at shortstop in Game 2.
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 5
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- 2014 Preview: Los Angeles Dodgers 21
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)