Oct 27, 2013, 9:30 PM EST
Miguel Cabrera powered himself through the final month of the season despite dealing with a severely pulled groin that sapped him of his effectiveness at the plate. After an 11-homer August which put him in a position to pull ahead of Chris Davis in dingers to potentially win another Triple Crown, Cabrera could muster just one home run in September along with a .729 OPS. It was the lowest OPS he had posted in a single month since the final month of the 2004 season.
Cabrera is considering having surgery to repair his groin next week, per Jon Morosi of FOX Sports.
Earlier today, Cabrera was named the winner of the American League Hank Aaron Award. He is the favorite to win the AL Most Valuable Player award as well, which will be handed out in November.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)