World Series Game 4 lineups

Oct 27, 2013, 4:23 PM EDT

Busch before Game 4

ST. LOUIS — Less than 24 hours after a crazy, exhausting game ended they strap it on again in a few hours and play another. To quote Earl Weaver for the second time today: This ain’t a football game. They do this every day.

For the Red Sox, the only real change is the exile of Jarrod Saltalamacchia — really, after that throw on the obstruction play he may be on a train to Siberia — the insertion of David Ross and bumping Stephen Drew up to the seven hole:

Ellsbury CF
Victorino RF
Pedroia 2B
Ortiz 1B
Nava LF
Bogaerts 3B
Drew SS
Ross C
Buchholz SP

The Cardinals have a substitution of their own, along with a flip-flop down low: Daniel Descalso is in for Pete Kozma and hitting eighth. Jon Jay is moved up to sixth, David Freese is down to seventh:

Matt Carpenter 2B
Carlos Beltran RF
Matt Holliday LF
Matt Adams 1B
Yadier Molina C
Jon Jay CF
David Freese 3B
Daniel Descalso SS
Lance Lynn SP

1. fearlessleader - Oct 27, 2013 at 4:33 PM

Psst—Lance Lynn, not Joe Kelly. I’m correcting your copy-paste error rather than shvitzing over the thought of Descalso playing short, because my heart is already in dangerous territory after last night. :)

• Craig Calcaterra - Oct 27, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Yes, that would be a copy and paste error. Hahaha, thanks for the heads up. I’m a little punchy.

• NatsLady - Oct 27, 2013 at 4:47 PM

I’m still trying to get over an image of the “flip-flop down low.” Won’t mention what the image is…

• Glenn - Oct 27, 2013 at 5:34 PM

You mean the beans are over the frank?

2. bigbenh8tr - Oct 27, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Wait people are actually watching this?

3. tfbuckfutter - Oct 27, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Oh good.

Another night of watching Stephen Drew flailing around at the plate like a little leaguer.

I didn’t even know John Farrell was his dad.

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 27, 2013 at 5:11 PM

I had to stop reading all the comments after the first ten minutes last night, since I ran out of baby aspirin during the game so I’m a little behind..

I’m glad to see the one thing we can still all agree on is that Stephen Drew is still awful.

• cohnjusack - Oct 27, 2013 at 5:35 PM

Stephen Drew = Bad postseason
      Stephen Drew = Good hitter during the regular season, ranked 6th among shortstops in wOBA.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 27, 2013 at 5:40 PM

Yeah, he did have a decent regular season.

He was streaky in spots, but overall performed pretty well.

That said, I have no desire to see him with the team after this season. Disappearing in the playoffs coupled with the genetic predisposition for missing multiple games every time they get so much as a hangnail?

Pass.

Why the hell can’t he just get a scraped knee or something and miss the rest of the season? Why NOW is he both healthy and useless?

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 27, 2013 at 5:48 PM

Remember when I suggested breaking his legs?
        Who knew it would end up being Middlebrooks legs that broke the internet?

I actually defended Stephen Drew all year. I played MLB PrePlay a lot and people would call me crazy for guessing he would hit doubles or homers, and more often than not he would pull through. A lot of people jumped on the bandwagon with me. Too bad that bandwagon has since failed inspection.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 27, 2013 at 5:53 PM

Thing is, you don’t even have to break a Drew’s leg.

All you have to do is sneeze in the same room with them and they will say “Oh, I should probably go home for a few days. I think I might be getting sick.”

• NatsLady - Oct 27, 2013 at 6:33 PM

Someone ran a stat, wish I’d kept it. Drew very good against bad pitchers, not good against good pitchers in the regular season. Guess what he’s seeing now?

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 27, 2013 at 6:37 PM

I don’t think he’s seeing anything.

I think maybe he went blind.

4. ditchparrot19 - Oct 27, 2013 at 5:16 PM

In a DH-less order, seventh is probably the best overall position to insert an extremely weak-hitting position player. A slightly better hitter directly in front of the pitcher stands a higher chance of turning the lineup over.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 27, 2013 at 5:19 PM

I’d rather see Drew bat ninth than the pitcher.

Actually, I’d rather see Drew bat for the Cardinals.

• amploud - Oct 27, 2013 at 7:17 PM

How about Drew for Kozma?

5. asexatheani - Oct 27, 2013 at 5:47 PM

This game’s the Sox’ best chance to bring the series back to Fenway. Lance Lynn is by far the weakest starter in the Cardinal rotation, and while he isn’t *that* bad, he’s nowhere near as good as Wainwright or Wacha. But then again, Wainwright messed up in Game 1 and the Cardinals got to the World Series by getting seven runs off of the best pitcher in baseball. So anything can happen.

Also: Shelby Miller exists. Just putting that out there.

• thenameisbootsy - Oct 27, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Lynn is definitely the weakest starter in our rotation, so (as a Cards fan) I’m heading into the game with some trepidation … However, Buchholz isn’t exactly starting this game from a position of strength. Assuming the reports of his arm fatigue are not overstated, I think the advantage goes to the Redbirds tonight. But as last night’s game demonstrated ANYTHING can happen in the World Series. Fascinating series so far.

6. misterdreamer119 - Oct 27, 2013 at 6:05 PM

the main problem this series is the Boston manager.

7. markfrednubble - Oct 27, 2013 at 6:40 PM

Red Sox nation has its share of Stephen Drew haters. I suspect many of them just traded in their memberships cards from his brother’s club.

But I think keeping Drew at shortstop is the right thing for now. Four reasons:

1. Defense. Bogaerts failed to make a play last night at short that Drew would have made. He’s been borderline spectacular throughout the postseason with the glove as a really important position.

2. It would be different if Middlebrooks had shown any indication of a clue at the plate lately. If I thought there was a better chance of a Middlebrooks bomb or even a gapper than a breakout Drew game, I’d say move Bogaerts to SS and start Middlebrooks at third.

3. Yes, Drew looked lost in game 3 and got himself out twice swinging at bad pitches. But he hit a rocket up the middle in game 2 that Martinez deflect into an out. So I cling to hope.

4. More lefties against the righty Cardinal starters.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 27, 2013 at 6:43 PM

It hasn’t worked so far so it’s bound to sooner or later.

I like that. I’m putting up a Casino right next to your house and it’s only going to have slot machines.

8. tfbuckfutter - Oct 27, 2013 at 6:41 PM

I just went to @stephendrew to request that he think about maybe putting the breaks on his massive sucking….and this is the first tweet….

“Stephen Drew ‏@stephendrew 17 Oct
    Twitter lets me know it’s baseball season by having people insult me, not realising I’m not the short stop for the Boston Red Sox.”

I wonder if someone has suggested he change his name only to have him reply “Why should I change it? He’s the one that sucks.”

Also, Google returned this which I somehow missed:

Figures the one time in the postseason he actually makes contact it STILL hurts the team.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4079)