Oct 28, 2013, 7:20 PM EDT
Red Sox manager John Farrell said prior to Monday’s Game 5 that jake Peavy, who just started Saturday’s Game 3, would be available in relief tonight, and that Clay Buchholz, who started Game 4, could work out of the pen once the series returns to Fenway Park on Wednesday.
Farrell also declined to commit to starting John Lackey in Game 6 and Peavy in Game 7, though he indicated that things still line up that way.
For what it’s worth, Lackey in Game 6 still seems like a given, assuming that he bounces back fine from his between-starts relief appearance on Sunday. It’s likely that Peavy would go in a Game 7, too, but maybe there’s a chance that Felix Doubront could pitch instead after he looked terrific in his relief appearances in Game 3 and 4. Obviously, a Doubront start would hinge on him not pitching in relief in Game 6.
Peavy pitched four innings and allowed two runs in his disappointing Game 3 start, throwing 64 pitches. Buchholz, who showed diminished velocity last night, threw 66 pitches while allowing an unearned run over four innings in Game 4,
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)