Oct 28, 2013, 5:50 PM EDT
How desperate are the Cardinals for some offense tonight against left-hander Jon Lester?
Before the game Allen Craig tested his injured foot in the hopes of playing first base, but it went poorly enough that manager Mike Matheny posted a lineup card with Craig on the bench and Matt Adams starting.
And then less than two hours later Matheny announced a change to that lineup, with Craig starting and Adams going to the bench.
It’ll be interesting to see if the Red Sox make any adjustments defensively when Craig is at the plate knowing that he’s basically limited to a single on any ball not hit over the fence. And of course knowing how baseball tends to work he’ll get multiple chances to show off his range (or lack thereof) on defensive plays at first base.
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 4
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 17
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 23
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- Mike Trout hits two homers, including a grand slam, to take MLB lead 13
- Zack Greinke’s scoreless innings streak ends at 45 2/3 7
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)