David Ortiz will start at first base again in Game 5

Oct 28, 2013, 11:55 AM EST

David Ortiz AP AP

No shock, but Red Sox manager John Farrell announced that David Ortiz will start again at first base tonight in Game 5, leaving Mike Napoli on the bench for the third time in three games in St. Louis.

It probably wasn’t much of a decision for Farrell, in part because the Cardinals are starting a right-hander in Adam Wainwright and in part because Ortiz is hitting like .850 in the playoffs. OK, so it’s actually only .326, but with five homers and a 1.153 OPS in 14 games. And that includes 8-for-11 (.727) with a 2.114 OPS in the World Series so far.

1. realitypolice - Oct 28, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I’m stunned. I really thought there was a chance that they would leave one of the hottest hitters in post season history on the bench in a pivotal game 5. Actually, that probably wouldn’t even be the dumbest decision Farrell had made in this series.

2. Francisco (FC) - Oct 28, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Man, Ortiz is scoring more often in the World Series than I did in five years at my Alma Mater.

• jm91rs - Oct 28, 2013 at 12:39 PM

So that’s 4 times in 5 years?

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 28, 2013 at 1:41 PM

Wha-? 4? Oh. Um. Yeah. Four. Yeah let’s go with that.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 28, 2013 at 1:44 PM

To be completely honest, my fifth year was my “breakout” season. So I shouldn’t probably include that when comparing to Ortiz.

• cur68 - Oct 28, 2013 at 12:49 PM

Don’t hate the playah.

3. pick6ftw - Oct 28, 2013 at 12:56 PM

David Ortiz is a hero! So what if he roided his way to 2 World Series titles, at least he stopped after he was told to and took really good care of his body so he’d be able to perform well into his late 30s. Look at me! I’ve never, used steroids, PERIOD! Baseball been berrry, berrry good Big Papiii.

4. cbwolfe1987 - Oct 28, 2013 at 12:59 PM

It really is a no brainer. Not only is he the hottest hitter on both teams, he is hitting left and righties. He’s 3 for 3 against lefties in the WS and hitting like .340 or something in the playoffs against them (in something like 17 AB’s). He has been crazy good so far.

5. riverace19 - Oct 28, 2013 at 1:10 PM

Nap at catcher!! It’s gotta happen

6. titansbro - Oct 28, 2013 at 1:57 PM

What’s really impressive about him scoring more than you is that he isn’t a switch hitter.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5285)
  2. M. Kemp (3137)
  3. W. Middlebrooks (2853)
  4. C. McGehee (2840)