Oct 28, 2013, 11:55 AM EDT
No shock, but Red Sox manager John Farrell announced that David Ortiz will start again at first base tonight in Game 5, leaving Mike Napoli on the bench for the third time in three games in St. Louis.
It probably wasn’t much of a decision for Farrell, in part because the Cardinals are starting a right-hander in Adam Wainwright and in part because Ortiz is hitting like .850 in the playoffs. OK, so it’s actually only .326, but with five homers and a 1.153 OPS in 14 games. And that includes 8-for-11 (.727) with a 2.114 OPS in the World Series so far.
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 39
- There’s a “very good chance” the Red Sox trade Lackey and Lester 49
- Hey, Rube: Phillies pay dearly for Amaro’s misguided loyalty 72
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 56
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 49
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 38
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 41
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 93
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (198)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (104)
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode (103)