Oct 28, 2013, 3:53 PM EDT
A few years ago I wrote a post about Giants bench coach Ron Wotus getting suspended for a game for whatever it was bench coaches can get suspended for. At the time I said that it would probably be the last time I ever used Ron Wotus’ picture on HardballTalk.
Shows you what I know: Jon Heyman reports that the Mariners have interviewed Wotus for their managerial opening.
Ain’t gonna lie: I don’t know much about Wotus apart from that suspension and the fact that, generally speaking, you don’t hear much about the Giants having big on-field tactical blunders that a good bench coach would prevent. So I assume that and his long tenure with Bruce Bochy makes him a good guy who is good at his job.
The job he’s interviewing for? Eh, not exactly drawing star power. So far the Mariners have been linked with Padres bench coach Rick Renteria and Tigers hitting coach Lloyd McClendon, each of whom are interviewing for higher-profile jobs in Chicago and Detroit, respectively. But good luck to Wotus all the same.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 6
- Giants to acquire Mike Leake from Reds 30
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 44
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 12
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 62
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 73
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)