Oct 28, 2013, 3:53 PM EDT
A few years ago I wrote a post about Giants bench coach Ron Wotus getting suspended for a game for whatever it was bench coaches can get suspended for. At the time I said that it would probably be the last time I ever used Ron Wotus’ picture on HardballTalk.
Shows you what I know: Jon Heyman reports that the Mariners have interviewed Wotus for their managerial opening.
Ain’t gonna lie: I don’t know much about Wotus apart from that suspension and the fact that, generally speaking, you don’t hear much about the Giants having big on-field tactical blunders that a good bench coach would prevent. So I assume that and his long tenure with Bruce Bochy makes him a good guy who is good at his job.
The job he’s interviewing for? Eh, not exactly drawing star power. So far the Mariners have been linked with Padres bench coach Rick Renteria and Tigers hitting coach Lloyd McClendon, each of whom are interviewing for higher-profile jobs in Chicago and Detroit, respectively. But good luck to Wotus all the same.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 44
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 27
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 59
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)