Oct 28, 2013, 1:04 AM EDT
The last thing a forlorn Kolten Wong wanted to do after getting picked off to end St. Louis’ Game 4 loss on Sunday was talk to reporters in front of his locker, but he stood up to the mics and answered questions anyway.
Wong on pickoff: “I knew I was dead once I went to plant and push off and I felt nothing go. My foot slipped out and I was done.”
— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) October 28, 2013
Wong, a rookie second baseman who pinch-ran for the hobbled Allen Craig, added that he had no intention of trying to steal with Carlos Beltran up in a two-run game; he was just trying to get his lead for the pitch and hopefully go first to third or first to home on a base hit.
Of course, Wong was only on first base in the first place because Craig literally couldn’t run; his shot to right field with one out in the inning would have been a double for practically any hitter in the league. Something else that could have ruled Wong out; he seemed like a nice choice to hit for Daniel Descalso starting the ninth before Craig came to the plate. Wong had a pinch-hit single and a stolen base in the Game 3 victory, though that was his only hit in six postseason at-bats. He was still a better bet than Descalso, who was 0-for-2 tonight and 3-for-21 for the postseason. Descalso grounded out to start the frame.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)