Oct 28, 2013, 1:04 AM EDT
The last thing a forlorn Kolten Wong wanted to do after getting picked off to end St. Louis’ Game 4 loss on Sunday was talk to reporters in front of his locker, but he stood up to the mics and answered questions anyway.
Wong on pickoff: “I knew I was dead once I went to plant and push off and I felt nothing go. My foot slipped out and I was done.”
— Jerry Crasnick (@jcrasnick) October 28, 2013
Wong, a rookie second baseman who pinch-ran for the hobbled Allen Craig, added that he had no intention of trying to steal with Carlos Beltran up in a two-run game; he was just trying to get his lead for the pitch and hopefully go first to third or first to home on a base hit.
Of course, Wong was only on first base in the first place because Craig literally couldn’t run; his shot to right field with one out in the inning would have been a double for practically any hitter in the league. Something else that could have ruled Wong out; he seemed like a nice choice to hit for Daniel Descalso starting the ninth before Craig came to the plate. Wong had a pinch-hit single and a stolen base in the Game 3 victory, though that was his only hit in six postseason at-bats. He was still a better bet than Descalso, who was 0-for-2 tonight and 3-for-21 for the postseason. Descalso grounded out to start the frame.
- We’re not going to pretend that Bo Porter had no idea what he was getting into, are we? 42
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 50
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 31
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 60
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 56
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 19
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)