LaTroy Hawkins helps subdue an unruly American Airlines passenger

Oct 28, 2013, 7:51 PM EDT

LaTroy Hawkins instagram

On his way to Chile to partake in a little dove hunting, LaTroy Hawkins got his adventure on a little early this morning, when he and another man assisted flight attendants in subduing an unruly passenger on his American Airlines flight.

Hawkins wrote on instagram that the flight had to make an emergency landing in Peru to dispose of the unruly passenger. ESPNNewYork.com’s Adam Rubin confirmed the series of events with the airline. Hawkins hasn’t commented further as of yet.

The 40-year-old Hawkins had a 2.93 ERA and 13 saves in 72 appearances for the Mets this season. He’ll be a free agent again this winter. With Mariano Rivera retiring, Hawkins will take over as the active major league leader in appearances with 943. He’s 20th all-time.

1. SOSHITECH.COM - Oct 28, 2013 at 7:51 PM

Reblogged this on SoshiTech.

• asimonetti88 - Oct 29, 2013 at 11:31 AM

You spelled sushi wrong.

2. mlblogsacubbieperspective - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:19 PM

I think it’s safe to say that may be Hawkins’ first save in a while

• asimonetti88 - Oct 29, 2013 at 11:32 AM

He had 13 of them last year.

3. cocheese000 - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:25 PM

What’s the deal with people getting hammered and unruly on airplanes? Hear about it quite a bit.

• rbj1 - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Could be someone who’s afraid of flying and needs to get drunk and/or take a pill. Or maybe just a mean drunk.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 29, 2013 at 10:04 PM

I am afraid of flying. I mean…I don’t fly well at all.
        So I drink several beers and triple up on the anxiety medicine.
        This allows it to be somewhat more bearable while also putting me in the correct frame of mind. My fear of flying wouldn’t allow me to even consider becoming angry, belligerent or otherwise unruly. And I don’t care how much beer I drink and/or anxiety medicine I take. It’s all I can do to release my hands from the arm rest to go to the bathroom. To actually stand up and become angry with someone is something I can’t even wrap my head around. Because I am on a damn airplane with no control whatsoever! It is a foreign concept to me. But I am also not a person who is easily annoyed to the point of becoming physical (in general). I think it has far more to do with the person’s general disposition.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Oct 29, 2013 at 3:01 AM

I’ve never seen it on any flight in the 50+ years I’ve been flying. It’s quite unusual, which makes it mildly newsworthy when it happens, especially if a celebrity is involved in the rowdiness, or in this case the restoring of safer conditions. Good job LTH.

4. dondada10 - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:47 PM

I’m still waiting for the paragraph that explains that photo. That can’t possible be the LaTroy Hawkins file photo.

• Matthew Pouliot - Oct 29, 2013 at 12:16 AM

That’s the photo he posted to instagram. I guess I could have explained that better, rather than just linking to it.

• rocketsteadman - Oct 29, 2013 at 8:41 AM

Is that the ghost of Billy Mays, or Frank Fritz?

5. chukpark - Oct 28, 2013 at 9:08 PM

I thought the photo was of Hawkins and the other passenger who helped subdue the guy.

6. pipkin42 - Oct 28, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I know that dove hunting is a thing that people do, and have done for a while. It still makes me giggle a little. Sorry ’bout it.

• canislupislupis - Oct 28, 2013 at 9:55 PM

Weird to fly to Peru for something you can find everywhere.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Oct 29, 2013 at 2:57 AM

Or to Chile like the story says. It says Peru was an unscheduled emergency stop.

• hk62 - Oct 29, 2013 at 10:07 AM

In Central and South America, the bird hunting is “a little easier” due to space and abundance of birds. Add to that fact that there are essentially no limits and you can see why avid bird hunters make the trip. No worries though, they are not wasted – the birds that are killed (beyond what the party eats right away and packs to take home) are given to the poor and hungry.

On the one hand, its truly an “excess” type of trip that can be viewed in the “Ugly American” light. On the other hand, it brings money into the poorer areas of these countries and puts free food on the tables of the people that live in the areas. As long as there is at least the thought of some conservation of resources, I have to be on the “this is an ok thing” side of it.

Stories I’ve heard about duck hunting in Central America in the late 1990’s and early 2000’s though – conservation was NOT in the thought processes there!

7. titansbro - Oct 28, 2013 at 10:38 PM

What’s the deal with reblogging? Man, f*** your lame a** blog.

8. bbk1000 - Oct 29, 2013 at 6:32 AM

By looking at the picture is clear that:

“when he and another man assisted flight attendants ”

should actually have been written

“when another man assisted flight attendants”.

• allday420ap - Oct 29, 2013 at 7:17 PM