Oct 28, 2013, 7:51 PM EDT
On his way to Chile to partake in a little dove hunting, LaTroy Hawkins got his adventure on a little early this morning, when he and another man assisted flight attendants in subduing an unruly passenger on his American Airlines flight.
Hawkins wrote on instagram that the flight had to make an emergency landing in Peru to dispose of the unruly passenger. ESPNNewYork.com’s Adam Rubin confirmed the series of events with the airline. Hawkins hasn’t commented further as of yet.
The 40-year-old Hawkins had a 2.93 ERA and 13 saves in 72 appearances for the Mets this season. He’ll be a free agent again this winter. With Mariano Rivera retiring, Hawkins will take over as the active major league leader in appearances with 943. He’s 20th all-time.
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 12
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 25
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 349
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 84
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 54
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (349)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (180)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)