Oct 28, 2013, 7:51 PM EDT
On his way to Chile to partake in a little dove hunting, LaTroy Hawkins got his adventure on a little early this morning, when he and another man assisted flight attendants in subduing an unruly passenger on his American Airlines flight.
Hawkins wrote on instagram that the flight had to make an emergency landing in Peru to dispose of the unruly passenger. ESPNNewYork.com’s Adam Rubin confirmed the series of events with the airline. Hawkins hasn’t commented further as of yet.
The 40-year-old Hawkins had a 2.93 ERA and 13 saves in 72 appearances for the Mets this season. He’ll be a free agent again this winter. With Mariano Rivera retiring, Hawkins will take over as the active major league leader in appearances with 943. He’s 20th all-time.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (88)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (88)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (81)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (77)