UPDATE: MLB and Chevrolet pull the “Silverado Strong” promotion

Oct 28, 2013, 6:53 PM EST

UPDATE: Wiser heads have prevailed: the “Silverado Strong” promotion has been cancelled.

Michael Albano, Chevrolet Spokesperson issued the following statement:

“Earlier this year Chevrolet launched the all-new 2014 Silverado. The launch is supported by the campaign, “Strong”,  which celebrates the strength of hardworking, honest and dependable men and women. Chevy has carried this theme throughout the 2013 MLB Playoffs and the World Series. Chevrolet had planned to continue the campaign tonight through an interactive in-stadium promotion.  However, following today’s rehearsal we realized there was the possibility that we may offend some of the very fans we were trying to honor, for that reason Chevrolet and MLB decided to cancel the promotion.”

Well, whether Chevy had a campaign going beforehand isn’t the point. They can do whatever they want with the campaign. It’s the intersection of the “Silverado Strong” and “Boston Strong” in dueling on-field World Series promotions which was the problem.

Either way: that’s a smart call. Of course, how no one considered that this was tacky until just before game time is beyond me.

ST. LOUIS — When I got to the ballpark today I noticed a bunch of little pieces of cardboard on the lower level seats. Some down by the left and right field lines are clearly the MLB logo.  From where I’m sitting I can see the third base line and can clearly see the word “Strong.”  “Hmm, ‘Boston Strong,'” I thought? A nice gesture, but it seems a bit out of place in St. Louis.

But no, it’s not a tribute to Boston and its post-Marathon bombing recovery. It’s about trucks that are second to none. This pic via Reddit:

source:

From MLB.com, explaining it:

Leading into the top of the 3rd, Ozzie Smith will recognize Chevrolet’s commitment to growing youth baseball in a video played on the scoreboard. He will prompt fans in attendance to hold up placards in front of them, which will unveil an image of the words “Silverado Strong,” Chevrolet’s theme for the launch of the all-new 2014 Silverado, with the Chevrolet and MLB silhouetted batter logos on either side. The Most Valuable Player (MVP) of the 2013 World Series will receive a youth baseball field makeover in a U.S. location of their choice and a 2014 Silverado High Country. This is a continuation of Chevrolet’s year-long SILVERADO STRONG campaign. For more information, fans can visit ChevyBaseball.com.

Commitment to youth baseball is admirable. But the slogan and placards seem to be just as much if not more of a commitment to advertising Chevy trucks.  And while the city of Boston doesn’t have a trademark on the word “strong,” they did have the words displayed on their field first, and for purposes that don’t mix the good cause with the commerce:

source:

Wondering how the folks in Boston will take this. Wondering whether anyone at MLB or Chevy realized that, maybe, this wasn’t the greatest idea when it comes to large, on-field sloganeering.

1. cur68 - Oct 28, 2013 at 6:56 PM

Uh…that’s…that’s obscene? Disappointing? Bogus? A Really Bad Idea? Yeah. All of that. Jeez.

• 18thstreet - Oct 28, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Obscene.

• cur68 - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:12 PM

They pulled it. Thank Jobu. When people claim the world is going to heck in a handbasket they fail to note things like this. Well done, MLB.

• 18thstreet - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Also goes to show what heat from the public can accomplish. Nice work, everyone.

• cohnjusack - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Yes, let’s all pat ourselves on the back from stopping a Chevy ad. Congrats everyone.

• cur68 - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:20 PM

Baby steps, Cohn. Baby steps.

• bender4700 - Oct 28, 2013 at 9:02 PM

Yes, forcing your outrage is the best way. The minority should always take precedence. Good call.

• bender4700 - Oct 28, 2013 at 9:06 PM

And don’t be mistaken, I know my opinion isn’t important, doesn’t mean I don’t have the right to voice it.

And am I the only one who picked up on Cohn’s sarcasm? I was just about to chew him out for pulling a 180.

What do you all win for getting the ad pulled? (as if you really are the reason, you really aren’t, chances are some guy in a suit made a call to another guy in suit, they don’t know who you are or care, they just want your DOLLARS and to keep watching so they can sell you stuff)

• indaburg - Oct 28, 2013 at 9:24 PM

To dyslexic john cusack, I quote Oscar Wilde: “A cynic is a man who knows the price of everything, and the value of nothing.”

We win nothing tangible, bender4700.

• bender4700 - Oct 28, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Exactly Indaburg.

Exactly. We only lose the battle against those who choose to make mountains out of mole hills. Sports news site pointing out what was very tacky, fine. People pumping themselves up for no real legit reason over something so utterly unimportant, the commercial wouldn’t have even effected anyone had it not been brought up.

Plenty of people, posting tonight, who are very unimportant, desperately trying to feel like they are. Unimportant to the rest of the world, but their friends and family, of course. As we all are. It’s all about keeping things in perspective.

What’s worse, the bombing, or Chevy running a tacky add? What’s worth your anger and outrage? Not everything negative is worth it.

• j0esixpack - Oct 28, 2013 at 10:16 PM

That’s too bad they pulled the plug.

The whole “Silverado Strong” theme would have fit in nicely right after that moving “God Bless America”

• bender4700 - Oct 28, 2013 at 10:40 PM

They put a good beer commercial in. All is ok.

• cur68 - Oct 28, 2013 at 11:14 PM

Yep. Prolly so. Pity the irony of your comment will be lost on some people.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 29, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Sorry. Couldn’t resist.

2. steelers88 - Oct 28, 2013 at 7:01 PM

Stay classy ST.Louis.

• bfunk1978 - Oct 28, 2013 at 7:22 PM

While I dont know for sure my guess is this is an MLB thing, not a Cardinals thing.

3. proudlycanadian - Oct 28, 2013 at 7:05 PM

Changing the subject entirely, My local TV station just reported the temperature in Frankenstein Missouri. It is mild there and is much warmer there than cur68’s neck of the woods which has seen snow.

• cur68 - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Heya PC. I’ve moved to Florida. It is BEAUTIFUL here. Let it snow in Edmonton. Let it snow all over their seal blubber consuming butts.

• proudlycanadian - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Congratulations.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 29, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Cur and Inda sittin’ in a tree.
        K-I-S-S-I-N-G.
        First comes love…
        Second comes marriage…
        Third comes little Cur’s in a baby carriage…
        Suckin’ his thumbs, wettin’ his pants, tryin’ to do the hula dance!

4. drewsylvania - Oct 28, 2013 at 7:07 PM

What are the rules for using [something]strong?

• cohnjusack - Oct 28, 2013 at 7:21 PM

Their should be none, since turning tragedies into slogans that can fit on a t-shirt is already tacky.

• yahmule - Oct 28, 2013 at 7:23 PM

Kind of how I see it.

• drewsylvania - Oct 28, 2013 at 7:54 PM

Yeah, my remark was half serious…

• bender4700 - Oct 28, 2013 at 9:14 PM

Your remark was great Drew. Pointing out how ridiculous this all is.

Over a damn truck commercial during a baseball game.

It’s not like it’s a funeral for victims of the bombing that they are trying to run that. It’s a baseball game of grown men running around playing a game.

• indaburg - Oct 28, 2013 at 9:32 PM

You do have a valid point. I agree. Those t-shirts are tacky as fuck. The Silverado commercial though? Even more tacky than tacky than fuck.

• bender4700 - Oct 28, 2013 at 9:53 PM

I agree it’s tacky, but people really need something in their life if it’s bad enough to get all up in arms about it.

• apkyletexas - Oct 28, 2013 at 10:11 PM

@cohnjusack – comment of the year.

• ryanrockzzz - Oct 29, 2013 at 7:47 AM

Right…..but of course in today’s society using the phrase “_____ strong” obviously means someone is trying to take advantage of a tragic event. I think the marketing department they have there just has some dumbasses, but I saw no need to drop the slogan.

• newlydead - Oct 29, 2013 at 11:34 AM

+infinity … @cohnjusack, best comment ever!

5. drewsylvania - Oct 28, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Also, the use of “strong” in such a fashion was co-opted by the Army years ago.

6. 8man - Oct 28, 2013 at 7:10 PM

Once again companies advertising cars insult our intelligence and sense of decency. I’m betting more than one Cardinals fan tonight will see this and think, “Oh, God, no! This is bad karma.”

What? The words “rugged” or “sturdy” or “steady” or “value” weren’t available in placards? It never ends well when you piggy back on someone else’s catch phrase.

7. h0c2000 - Oct 28, 2013 at 7:12 PM

Like shell art, anything strong is over man.

8. nobody78 - Oct 28, 2013 at 7:19 PM

Yeesh. I hate the Red Sox more than I hate injustice, poverty, and Kenny G, but this is really, really tacky on Chevy’s part.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 28, 2013 at 7:44 PM

2 people downvoted your comment because they love poverty.

They are what we call the Tea Party Contingent of HBT.

• cohnjusack - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:01 PM

I love poverty, but only because it supplies nearly 100% of the nation’s adorable little ragamuffins.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:56 PM

I’m as big a fan of sickly orphans with crutches as the next guy, don’t get me wrong….I just don’t base my political philosophies on creating as many of them as possible.

9. 18thstreet - Oct 28, 2013 at 7:20 PM

Bob Costas and Al Michaels would not less this pass without comment. We’re about to learn something about Joe Buck and Tim McCarver.

10. yahmule - Oct 28, 2013 at 7:22 PM

“Silverado, Strong!”

• Old Gator - Oct 28, 2013 at 7:30 PM

Awww, cue the “blind man scene” from Young Frankenstein….

• 4d3fect - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:40 PM

“..but I was going to make espresso!”

11. 18thstreet - Oct 28, 2013 at 7:33 PM

Anyone with a twitter account who is bothered by this, please consider sending a note to @MLB_PR and @Chevrolet.

• bender4700 - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:35 PM

This is what’s wrong with America. Everyone thinks their opinion is really that important. Bothered by it? Bothered by it!!?!?! What? Chevy isn’t allowed to sell product?! They sell Chevy’s in Boston, so are they slamming Boston? NOOO. it’s an AD CAMPAIGN. For crying out loud.

You want insensitive? The year Katrina hit the Tampa Bay Buccaneers played the New Orleans Saints in Tampa and they played “Rock You Like a Hurricane” THAT is insensitive. This is just a bunch of pretentious.

Army Strong has been used for a decade.

Anyone who has served in the Army, you should tweet at Boston and tell them to stop using “.. Strong”.

Really cutting down on sales.

This concept that people feel like they are a victim, and nobody can ever tell them otherwise is just ridiculous. Can New Yorkers run an ad saying “New York Strong”? Or do they have to leave it to 9/11 related? “Walk On New York” because “Walk On” – by U2 ran nearly every 5 minutes following that day. So does New York have exclusive rights to the common 9/11 phrases? Despite 3 states having deaths occur?

Were ONLY Boston residents hurt or killed in the bombing? Maybe a Chevy employee was killed. This is why this whole story is so ridiculous, SELFISH mindset. “Something bad happened to me, and me alone” despite that being completely false.

This whole thing just makes me crazy. People so full of themselves to see how utterly pathetically myopic they are. They can’t see past their own noses to figure out they are a smallllllllll fraction 7 or 8 BILLION people on this planet.

Horrible tragedies do not give one city the right to hold themselves to a higher standard. What are the rules? Do people born in Mass. but moved have claim? Or do they have to be from Boston proper? What about the suburbs? What about people born in Boston, moved back, then moved again?

See how STUPID this whole thing is? When you create arbitrary rules that have no basis for reality, you end up with just chaos.

Who in their right mind isn’t sad by what happened, glad that Boston was able to deal with it and become stronger for it, but for the love of God, why on Earth is Boston now the ones who get to decide what is acceptable? I was affected, not directly, but I was affected. Does anyone care? NO, it’s my job to get myself right. Boston has America’s support and love, but that doesn’t mean that we now have no rights to carry on with life.

• bender4700 - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:36 PM

And I don’t care if you thumb me down, because at some point, people have to grow up.

This is child like behavior.

Forcing others to worry about how you are affected by everything is very child like, and unbelievably selfish.

• cur68 - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Are you willfully stupid or just stupid. Serious question.

• bender4700 - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:47 PM

How am I stupid? You going to call me out, have something more than a sentence.

• bender4700 - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:51 PM

Also, being stupid means you know what the truth is, just choose to disagree basically. Ignorance is lack of knowledge.

So asking if someone is willfully stupid or just stupid is stupid in general because your education should have taught you the proper question is “Are you stupid or just ignorant”.

Since you are implying I may not know any better. But I firmly believe what I say, if you disagree, great, but doesn’t make me stupid.

Crying about a TRUCK COMMERCIAL DURING A COMMERCIAL BASEBALL GAME because it is “insensitive” to something that isn’t RELATED TO EITHER is STUPID.

• bender4700 - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:53 PM

Don’t buy a Chevy. But thinking you, which is completely pretentious and self centered, have the right to tell them what they are allowed to do or say… wow.

Free speech people. Same right you are using to cry, they have to do what they do.

Buy a Ford and get over yourself.

• cur68 - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:54 PM

The WS is on. You are not funny. You post nothing amusing. Your opinion is short sighted and smacks of low level thinking. What’s more, there may be a wilful attempt at a strawman argument in there. That’s odious. Until you turn in to someone remotely amusing you can GFY for right now.

After the WS? Yeah. We’ll talk.

• bender4700 - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I’m not trying to be funny, nor do I care to talk to you. Your opinion isn’t important.

I don’t care if people agree or dislike what I say.

Crying about a TRUCK AD while watching HIGHLY paid pro athletes play a game is so pathetic it just makes me very mad.

No perspective, and selective understanding. It’s a TRUCK COMMERCIAL FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!

• bender4700 - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:59 PM

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 28, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Just so we’re clear….you are getting “very mad” because someone voiced their opinion that something may be viewed as offensive?

Have you considered switching to Sanka?

• bender4700 - Oct 28, 2013 at 9:08 PM

No no, mad at the audacity that some people have. Just incredibly pretentious. They REALLY think their poorly formed opinion should be heard and believed by everyone.

Difference is I know my opinion doesn’t matter. But the original comment to this thread is just SCREAMING with so many bad traits I can’t even begin to dive into it other than the only word i can think of “pretentious”.

• ryanrockzzz - Oct 29, 2013 at 7:50 AM

this comment makes me think you’re boarderline going nuts right now, but I honestly agree with you.

12. tfbuckfutter - Oct 28, 2013 at 7:42 PM

You think that is bad?

During the 7th inning stretch they are planning to have a clydesdale with a Bud Select hat come out and trample a legless amputee in a Red Sox hat.

• yahmule - Oct 28, 2013 at 7:57 PM

It’s about time.

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:03 PM

So awful, and so hilarious.. At least where from the state. I don’t feel as guilty laughing.

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:04 PM

*we’re.. wow.

• cur68 - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:18 PM

You made me laugh. Nothing about this post was designed to make me laugh. You fiend. You horrible fiend. My girlfriend is choking on her wine right now. I hope your wife is wearing her Cardinals Red underpants right now. Serves you right.

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:27 PM

He’s actually a Red Sox fan, so I’m assuming if his girlfriend is wearing Cardinal Red panties then they must be role playing some kind of “come on big fella.. see if you can beat me in less than 7..” kind of thing.

• cur68 - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:36 PM

“Wife”. He has a “Wife”. If he has a GF, we don’t know NUTTIN’ about NUTTIN’.

Anyhow, the other day he was doing some whining about his wife having to go commando (lucky bastard) because she was in Cardinal Red. Lord knows I hate me some Red Sox. The thought of foundation garments that go AGAINST Red Sox Rooting Interests makes me happy. So you wear what you want Mrs. Futter. You wear that Cardinal Red pair of panties. The entire AL Beast (excluding Red Sox Nation) is on your side.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Unfortunately on that front I have been playing the Stephen Drew role and striking out hard (early hours at work coupled with games ending after midnight have that effect)….

I did enjoy this interaction from a moment ago though “Why does the manager look like he’s smelling shit?” and I said “Because he just watched Stephen Drew bat.”

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Just did a panty check. They are pink.

• cur68 - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:43 PM

How has your wife not killed you yet? Anyhow, your boys have the lead but THIS Molina can hit. And there’s a man on. You skeered?

13. offseasonblues - Oct 28, 2013 at 7:44 PM

The FCC might object to my comments.

Use it Red Sox. This game is yours.

14. shawnparker74 - Oct 28, 2013 at 7:46 PM

An impassioned plea to Cardinal Nation: DON’T DO IT!

15. 3sakuraba9 - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:08 PM

So many entities just can’t wait to associate themselves with a phony like Lance Armstrong. Maybe they didn’t get the memo.

16. bender4700 - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:17 PM

Major tragedies do not mean the community it happened to now own it and EVERYTHING said about it.

*insert name* Strong has been a COMMON thing for years. Why does Boston now own it? What gives Boston the right to single themselves out? Were only Bostonians hurt or killed? No. It happened to America, and to humanity in general.

Just like New York doesn’t get to act like 9/11 only belongs to New York. Happened to HUMANS. Horrible tragedies happen to everyone and affect everyone. If we have to separate ourselves, it happened to Americans. But not everyone hurt were all Americans. So it happened to the whole world.

Because, in reality, it’s a fight over money. Copyright, retail rights. And that’s pure bull…

“Silverado Strong” isn’t an insult to Boston. The notion that *insert word* Strong now belongs to Boston and all the COMMERCIAL rights is the insult.

• bender4700 - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:21 PM

It just angers me to know end that we put all this attention on commercializing horrible acts.

It’s highly insulting to me that “Boston Strong” was used as a way to help demonstrate that Boston, and America in general, were healing from the pain.

This is all about dollars. How many 9/11 junk are for sale? It’s insulting that people can be upset or sensitive, but completely ok with it when it comes to retail.

The bombing was horrible, and the Silverado commercial campaign has NOTHING to do with it.

• 18thstreet - Oct 28, 2013 at 10:02 PM

How do you feel about about NSA spying on Americans?

*Tossing Jiffy Pop on the stove*

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 28, 2013 at 9:06 PM

How do you feel about the pressure on the Redskins to change their team name?

*Tossing Jiffy Pop on the stove*

• bender4700 - Oct 28, 2013 at 9:10 PM

If it’s coming from Native Americans, well that’s their right. I, as a white guy, really can’t get mad about it. It’s pretty ridiculous (the name), but I’m not someone who should be telling Daniel Snyder what to do.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 28, 2013 at 9:38 PM

So you don’t believe in supporting the minority?

If it doesn’t directly effect you, you offer nothing but an opinion that you don’t voice and instead keep to yourself (or, in this case, complain about the complaints)?

That may explain why you don’t understand the point of Craig speaking up on this issue.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 28, 2013 at 9:39 PM

“How do you feel about slavery?”
        “I don’t know, ask a black guy. I’m a white guy.”

• cur68 - Oct 28, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Jeez, tfb. Don’t be makin’ his brain smoke.

Tie game, homie. How much faith you got in this David Ortiz?

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 28, 2013 at 9:56 PM

He’s basically carrying the offense so far.

I’m just happy that the games have been good, and that no matter what at least the series goes back to Boston.

It is really sad though that I was actually really happy that Stephen Drew did something other than K or GIDP.

That long flyball felt like a damn homer.

• bender4700 - Oct 28, 2013 at 10:01 PM

Oh I understand it. It was tacky.

But the notion that a small group of outraged citizens should be given the strength to dictate what a national brand does in their ad campaign?

Was it REALLY that bad? Was the anger and pretentious behavior (I really can’t think of a more fitting word for it, so I must stick with it)?

The other part is the idea that anyone here had ANYTHING to do with it? False sense of importance if we’ve ever seen one.

“I tweeted at Chevy, and they listened”

Forgetting some mildly unimportant employee is handling that. The CEO isn’t checking Chevy’s tweets. Considering they get a couple hundred of spam tweets, or just ridiculously stupid tweets.

Granted, tacky yes, but the prevailing mindset demonstrated on this forum is mind boggling. You cannot deny I do not have a point with that. Well you can, but then you’re just closing off any chance I’m at least hitting on a solid point.

I’m sure Cur really didn’t read, nor even consider my point. Which is fine. His ignorance/stupidity is not my problem nor my complaint.

And I certainly do think the minority are important, but at some point, there has to be a level of “is this bad enough?”. NFL Franchise with an ethnic slur as it’s mascot… Truck Commercial using a slogan that’s been used and used again? Then the following “I feel important” false sense of importance behind it. And I am not speaking about Craig.

• bender4700 - Oct 28, 2013 at 10:08 PM

You cannot deny I DO have a point. Typo.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 28, 2013 at 10:16 PM

Since it’s not as amusing as I hoped it’d be, and since you’re not going to get it, I will just let you in on the fact that I have been trolling you and no one is reading your fucking rambling novellas.

• bender4700 - Oct 28, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Really?

No way…

Thank you internet friend! I feel so enlightened. Man, it was right there!! I couldn’t see it till you so generously told me. I get it, way more than you realize. Whether you will admit it to yourself or not.

If you don’t want to engage in a smart debate, fine, but I’m not the idiot. the idiot who can’t either keep up, or be bothered to be at all smart even online is the one who may want to ask what they do all night.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 28, 2013 at 10:22 PM

Oh.

I didn’t realize you got it all along, and your crazy long rambling posts were all part of the put-on.

Well done, counter-troll.

• bender4700 - Oct 28, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Well think of it from my view.

Who’s going to even going to hear what I say? I can write good, full explanations for what I think, and occasionally someone will come by and read it, and maybe say, “hey, I agree”. That’s who I’m talking to.

Folks like 18thstreet have this really warped view of the world. Hence they bring up the NSA. Leads me to believe they are more right winged (despite GW Bush starting all of that, ironic right). So they make a ridiculous, self rightesous post based entirely on false pretences. At no point did any member of this site really have an impact, outside of Craig who posted the story. So when I see this person actually patting themselves on the back, should I sit here, and let that kind of stupid, pretentious (i’m telling ya, it’s perfect) behavior?

You “troll” people to enlist a reaction, usually “screw you” or “you’re dumb” type of reply. I know, my experience with people on the net is vast and wide. You are not the first “troll” I’ve come across. Won’t be the last.

But again, back to my point, what do I have to gain posting a sentence or two saying 18thstreet is really sad if THIS is the worst thing they have going in their life? Why not a long page of material, fully explaining why they should REALLY look at themselves. They won’t read it, may not even get it, as I know Cur doesn’t. I say that because he opens the door in attempting to call me stupid. Troll 101: Don’t allow for ANYTHING to be incorrect about your reply calling them stupid or correcting grammar.

So, what am I left with? Two sentences at a time debate? Or just go fully at it, and let off some steam and make my point. Considering what I’m actually spending more time on tonight, a few lengthy posts certainly don’t hurt.

Where do I get to have my fun? You got “sarcastic asshole” troll down. And quite well, your comments make me laugh quite a bit. But you are hardly elusive or tricking me in anyway.

Old phrase, takes two to tango?

17. bender4700 - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:46 PM

Keep in mind, IT’s A BASEBALL GAME!

Commercial COMMERCIAL COMMERCIAL.

18. bender4700 - Oct 28, 2013 at 10:16 PM

18thstreet – Oct 28, 2013 at 10:02 PM

How do you feel about about NSA spying on Americans?

You mean those American’s who post 1000’s of pictures of every stupid thing they do on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram? Again, a lot of panic and outrage, and yet, how many of them were at all infringed on? It’s wrong what the Government did, but American’s are HARDLY shy about sharing everything about their lives. Reality shows, attempts at fame, YouTube. Come on. Plus, GW Bush began that all, and a Democratic President kept it going. So Republican outrage over it REALLY makes me laugh. Can’t change history, but they sure try.

Slavery was very very wrong tfb.
    My non-anger over the Redskins is me accepting that the people negatively effected should be mad, I can be mad, but I shouldn’t pretend like I really understand. Because I am not in their shoes. I support them, but that’s their fight. I’ll stand by their side, but not going to take the flag from their hands. (for the dumb, what I’m saying is I am not going to disrespect them by acting as if I’m just as hurt by it as they are, because I’m not).

19. bender4700 - Oct 28, 2013 at 10:34 PM

I do love the fact a Truck commercial fires people up, but beer ads are perfectly fine.

hahahahaha.

Seriously guys. Pick your battles. Lots to be mad at, let this stuff slide. Way down on the list of “Stuff it’s worth getting upset about”.

20. maverickstar - Oct 28, 2013 at 11:00 PM

I thought Chuck Pagano already called dibs on “Strong”

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 29, 2013 at 10:33 PM

I am been waiting to see a reference to “Chuckstrong.” Finally.
      What about “Livestrong?” It’s the 1st reference I remember. I take that back.
      Livestrong is the 2nd reference (with Army being the 1st).

/Throws hands in the air illustrating fake outrage

21. thebadguyswon - Oct 28, 2013 at 11:11 PM

Score another one for the PC police. What a bunch of pussies we’ve become.

22. maverickstar - Oct 28, 2013 at 11:18 PM

You know if any other American League team was in the WS other than Boston, the ad would have gone on as normal and not a peep would have been made about it.

23. jvm127 - Oct 29, 2013 at 8:22 AM

But Boston wasn’t/isn’t strong. They let the police lock down their whole city and put the place under martial law while they cheered as swat teams raised their homes to look for one person. That’s extremely weak – nowhere close to strong.

• pastabelly - Oct 29, 2013 at 2:20 PM

This is an ignorant post. Boston is Strong for following police and FBI direction in locking down the city and raising $millions for the victims whose lives have been shattered by this act of terrorism. I suppose you typed your post from Afghanistan, tough guy (behind the keyboard).

24. sportsdrenched - Oct 29, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Yeah, probably a little over senstive. But when you’re a company that big, on that stage, in that competitive of an industry these are things you need to think about. Probably a smart play on Chevrolet’s part…and I’m a Ford Guy.

• cur68 - Oct 29, 2013 at 12:02 PM

It was bad optics all the way. Its like they didn’t think about it in context at all. The Cards were playing Boston. Where the marathon bombings were. Boston had the whole “B Strong” thing going on. WHY would Chevy think it would be just fine to use that slogan, which is SO similar, when it was BOSTON in town for the Series? Its not like the Cards were playing the A’s. OF COURSE it would be seen as capitalizing on the bombing slogan.

I’m from Canada and the bombings happened while I was in Edmonton. EVERYONE there knew the “Boston Strong” slogan and what it stood for and usually all someone in Edmonton knows about Boston is that “The Bruins are pretty good this year”. It would have been a PR disaster for Chevy if they’d gone ahead with the campaign as planned. Anyone who can’t see how it would have been perceived is either a nut or painfully obtuse. The notion that Chevy was DELIBERATELY attempting to capitalize on the Boston bombing slogan is not so far fetched, either. Big companies have done much worse things than that.

I’m glad they pulled it. At least, for a change, the big multinational saw its bumbling in time to prevent a HUGE PR disaster. It would have been perceived as tasteless capitalism attempting to ride the back of a national tragedy to sell stuff. I’m not so sure it WASN’T tasteless capitalism attempting to ride the back of a national tragedy, but at least they avoided having to go into “spin” mode. There’s few things worse than a huge company in PR Crisis mode. Often they end up making it worse, rather than better.

25. chiadam - Oct 29, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Boston opened the door when they attached the saying to every single sporting event and tee-shirt in sight. They were the head cheerleaders that stripped the saying of any meaning.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (5285)
  2. M. Kemp (3137)
  3. W. Middlebrooks (2853)
  4. C. McGehee (2840)