Oct 28, 2013, 10:19 PM EST
Wainwright struck out Daniel Nava to begin the top of the seventh inning, but then allowed a single to Xander Bogaerts and a walk to Stephen Drew. This set up a ground-rule double to left from David Ross which put the Red Sox in front. Instead of going for the kill, John Farrell then elected to have Lester for for himself. He was retired on a comebacker. However, Wainwright failed to escape the jam, as Jacoby Ellsbury followed with a single to center field to drive home Drew. Ross also attempted to score on the play, but he was thrown out by Shane Robinson, though replays indicate that Yadier Molina may have missed the tag.
It’s stretch time in St. Louis, with the Red Sox holding a 3-1 advantage. Lester remains in the ballgame for Boston.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)