The red-hot David Ortiz gives Red Sox early lead in Game 5 of World Series

Oct 28, 2013, 8:21 PM EST

David Ortiz Getty Getty Images

The Red Sox are off to a quick start against the Cardinals in Game 5 of the World Series thanks to the red-hot David Ortiz.

After Adam Wainwright struck out Jacoby Ellsbury looking to begin the game, Dustin Pedroia ripped a hanging curveball into the left field corner for a double. Ortiz then pulled a double inside the first base line to get the Red Sox on the board. The veteran slugger is now 9-for-12 in the series and has reached base in eight consecutive plate appearances. Just ridiculous.

Wainwright was able to strike out Jonny Gomes and Daniel Nava looking to avoid any further damage, but Jon Lester will have a 1-0 lead as he heads to the mound for the bottom of the first inning at Busch Stadium.

1. jacobk621 - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Ortiz is having a World Series performance of epic proportions !! Just waiting for the ped comments to start rolling in !

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:47 PM

To which I’ll have to vehemently explain how steroids work.. It’s coming from plenty of experience myself. This guy went 1-17 in the ALCS. Didn’t get many more in the ALDS.. So now because he’s hot it has to be steroids?

Well.. that wouldn’t make sense. As standard cycle of steroids can be anywhere from 12-16 weeks. With all injectable and oral steroids, including HGH, there is a loading period. You won’t see any strength gains during this time for at least the first 4-6 weeks. You still won’t see anything significant until the last 3-4 weeks. This is the peak of the cycle, and the bulk of the muscle is built in this time. Immediately after the cycle is when that muscle will also deteriorate the fastest as you’re body struggles to create its own Testosterone. The only way continuous muscle is built and kept in through several cycles over time. Ortiz is not a very large man in terms of muscle. As someone who has both used and been around plenty of steroid users, he has more of a typical “former fat man with condensed muscle underneath” look to him. Not someone with continuous steroid use. Not to say he hasn’t even tried, but this is not a guy that ever used them with frequency.

Oh, and there is nothing that will allow your high eye coordination to become suddenly better. Thats focus.

I wish people glowed orange when they juiced. You would be so surprised which guys do and don’t use.. You don’t have to be huge.. You also don’t have to be a large man that hits well.. Lay off the guy. He’s hitting well.

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:52 PM

And if anyone who has any steroid experience says “well oral d-bols work pretty fast” and are usually taken during loading phases.. Well yeah.. but an athlete would never take dbols as they’re going to visibly puff up like a marshmallow with water weight overnight. It would be so noticeable that we would all be able to tell. Also because they are oral, they do not last anywhere near what an injectable does. That water weight will be gone within two weeks, and your body will be unable to create its own Testosterone, and you’d loose strength just as fast (hence why you’d only take them in conjunction with injectables to start a cycle).

I wish the MLB would let me write a pamphlet on how to spot this. Talent would be appreciated more.

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 28, 2013 at 9:23 PM

Am I getting thumbs down because you don’t believe me, or because you just don’t care and want to rip the guy anyways? If you’d like to explain to me how he could be using through an entire season without a change in body size, no distinct period of time where his numbers decreased enough to say he was in between cycles- since you can not go a full season continuously using steroids, they don’t work that way- than how can you rip the guy if you don’t understand? This goes for a lot of people I see getting ripped for it. I see people I KNOW are juicing, yet no one says anything about them, but the guys with bigger numbers always get immediately pointed out.

This isn’t about just defending Ortiz. This is something that bothers me in general about baseball and the lack of knowledge about how steroids work, and how to spot it without just saying He’s big, he hits well. There has to be a drug for that, even though I have no clue what it is, or the slightest clue about it. “

• cohnjusack - Oct 28, 2013 at 9:34 PM

As someone who feels like he’s going to throw up every time Ortiz comes up now, I wholly endorse this comment. Ortiz is hitting well because he’s a really good hitter on a hot streak. He tested positive a decade ago Let it go.

• happytwinsfan - Oct 28, 2013 at 9:35 PM

maybe so, but have you considered that the color of his skin is brown. he does not appear to be like me therefore i disregard your arguments. besides he sucked for the twins and did good for the bosox. proof enough !!!

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 28, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Cohn, you are one of the good ones… Too bad I find solace in watching your team fail at the current moment in time. I kid.. sort of.

But honestly, I apologize to you and everyone else for the essay you have to scroll through at the top of the screen. I just want to scream when the PED conversation comes up, when little to no one has facts to draw from other than what they’ve heard from someone in the media. I was bound to go on a tirade at some point.

• jwbiii - Oct 28, 2013 at 10:22 PM

peter. . . First, thank you for your comments on steroids. Second, do you how well or quickly drugs to restart natural testosterone production, such as clomiphene or gonadatrophins, work?

2. unclemosesgreen - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:34 PM

Big Papi – the answer to all arguments about “clutch” hitting. Why are they still pitching to him?

• cohnjusack - Oct 28, 2013 at 9:09 PM

…and yet, Ortiz’s career regular season OPS is still 30 points higher than his career postseason OPS.

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 28, 2013 at 9:12 PM

Who needs stats when people can blame things they don’t understand on magic drugs that don’t exist?

• cohnjusack - Oct 28, 2013 at 9:12 PM

EDIT: 14 points higher.

Numbers are hard.

• unclemosesgreen - Oct 28, 2013 at 9:13 PM

And he doesn’t get to feast on the Astros’ 5th pitcher in the playoffs. If you approach regular season production levels in the playoffs then you’re stepping it up in the CLUTCH.

• unclemosesgreen - Oct 28, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I get it though – you’re just sad about the Cards’ W.S. RISP. What happened to that?

• cohnjusack - Oct 28, 2013 at 9:27 PM

you’re just sad about the Cards’ W.S. RISP. What happened to that?

Yeah, I don’t think “clutch” is a skill on either side.

Ortiz seems clutch because he’s a reallly fucking good hitter. Therefore, many times those hits will come in “clutch ” situations.

My problem with clutch arguments. You will cite this World Series as proof he is clutch, yet apparently ignore the LCS where he was 2-22. Or the 09 LDS where he was 1-12. Or the 2008 LCS where he was 4-26. That’s how clutch works…he only see it when they succeed. Because he’s a fantastic hitter, he succeeds in those situations a lot.

For his career, Ortiz’s OPS is .962
        With runners in scoring position, it’s .944
        With men on, it’s .950
        With two out, RISP, it’s .945
        In “late and close” situations, it’s .875″
        In tie games, it’s .979

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 28, 2013 at 9:36 PM

cohn- I think it entirely has to do with the timeliness of the “memorable” hits. He’s known more than anyone else in the franchise for hitting the tying, winning, or walk off hit in big game situations. All other at bats are completely ignored, since the average fan either didn’t see those at bats, or just chooses to ignore them.

3. farvite - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:35 PM

Papi.. The anti-ARoid

• cohnjusack - Oct 28, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Let me be clear that I am not knocking David Ortiz here…just you.

Maybe, just maybe don’t use the term “A-Roid” when contrasting him to a player whose named was leaked from the 2003 list of players who tested positive for PEDs.

I mean, I love Mark McGwire. I don’t argue his HOF credentials by contrasting him with Rafael “Vitamin Shots” Palmeiro.

4. golfrangeman - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:52 PM

Agree. But the fact is if people are going to rip on arod bonds maguire the same goes for papi. You can’t take him out of the equation just because he’s a nice guy.

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 28, 2013 at 9:06 PM

I keep telling people this, but see the “reply” button under each comment? It makes it easier to tell who you are replying to.

5. gameover78 - Oct 28, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Big Papi is a badass and is the new Mr October.
    When it comes to roids, lets face reality, most all power hitters in the last 20+ years have juiced. So why keep Bonds out when he’s the most dominant of all? Look at how many times he was walked when he broke the single season HR record…

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester