World Series, Game 5: Red Sox-Cardinals lineups

Oct 28, 2013, 4:20 PM EDT

World Series - Boston Red Sox v St Louis Cardinals - Game Three Getty Images

Lineups for Game 5 at Busch Stadium …

Red Sox:
CF Jacoby Ellsbury
2B Dustin Pedroia
1B David Ortiz
LF Jonny Gomes
RF Daniel Nava
3B Xander Bogaerts
SS Stephen Drew
C David Ross
SP Jon Lester

Shane Victorino is out of the lineup again with a back injury, so Daniel Nava replaces him in right field and Jonny Gomes plays left field while batting cleanup versus a right-handed pitcher. As expected David Ortiz remains at first base and David Ross gets the nod behind the plate over Jarrod Saltalamacchia.

Cardinals:
2B Matt Carpenter
CF Shane Robinson
LF Matt Holliday
RF Carlos Beltran
C Yadier Molina
1B Allen Craig
3B David Freese
SS Pete Kozma
SP Adam Wainwright

UPDATE: Allen Craig initially was not in the lineup, but the Cardinals made a last-minute change to insert him at first base and in the sixth spot instead of Matt Adams. It’ll be interesting to see just how hobbled he is, because it couldn’t have looked good as of just a few hours ago.

Shane Robinson again replaces Jon Jay versus a left-hander and moves up in the order to the No. 2 spot, with Carlos Beltran sliding into a middle-of-the-order role as Matheny shakes things up.

1. peterjohnjoseph - Oct 28, 2013 at 4:29 PM

This is my favorite batting order of the series for the Sox, with the available players. Having Ortiz up in the 1st, behind two good hitters, with Gomes getting protection from Nava, and another threat waiting to breakout in Bogaerts behind him. With what they have available tonight, I think this could be their best chance.

2. skeleteeth - Oct 28, 2013 at 4:32 PM

Ahh the old L, R, L, R, L, R, L, R, L I see…

3. spudchukar - Oct 28, 2013 at 4:39 PM

The Cards need some production from Freese. If he doesn’t produce tonight, look for him to be riding the pine, and Wong or Descalso in the line-up in Boston.

• rollinghighwayblues - Oct 28, 2013 at 5:07 PM

This is what scares me most, he’s been a ghost all series and I know, I just know he’s due for some late game clutch hitting. It’s inevitable, right?

• spudchukar - Oct 28, 2013 at 5:24 PM

Not if you have watched him all year. He has become a guess hitter, and wants to pull the ball, rather than continuing the approach that was so effective for him the past few years. He gives token attempts, but is no longer the tough out he once was, and it is frustrating for a fan to see him divorce himself from a style that offered so much success.

• swmocardsfan - Oct 28, 2013 at 6:04 PM

It pains me to see Freese struggle as much as he has. To go from World Series Icon two years ago to absolutely lost at the plate is baffling. I keep telling myself he has to break out, then he grounds another one out or stares at another strike three. No matter what happens, Waino needs to put the team on his back and carry them tonight because I would love to see Allen Craig go all Kirk Gibson tonight, but I just don’t think it will happen and no matter what lineup Boston throws at them, simply seeing Ortiz anywhere scares the crud out of me. Even if the Cards manage to win this, Ortiz is the MVP of the series…and I am obviously a Cards fan.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 28, 2013 at 5:22 PM

Absolutely Spud. So much so…I half expected Wong to be at 2nd and Old School to play 3rd tonight.

• spudchukar - Oct 28, 2013 at 5:26 PM

Won’t happen cause a lefty is starting but unless he has a night, Wong may very well start in Beantown. And I would be all for it.

• stlouis1baseball - Oct 28, 2013 at 5:28 PM

Lol! Oh I fully understand a lefty is starting tonight. I also fully understand David Freese has most likely never struggled so mightily in his career (save injury shortened seasons).

• spudchukar - Oct 28, 2013 at 5:32 PM

I think I know Matheny well enough to know that he won’t pull Freese tonight. That doesn’t mean I don’t think he should, but the lefty negates Wong’s speed, and Ross is also catching making it tougher than if Salty was behind the dish.

4. tfbuckfutter - Oct 28, 2013 at 4:53 PM

I said yesterday I never thought I’d see Gomes batting 5th in a World Series game.

So naturally, even with a big hit last night, I am equally surprised to see him batting cleanup.

Regardless of the outcome, at least we’re heading back to Boston.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 28, 2013 at 4:57 PM

With Victorino out everyone moves up one step in the batting order.

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 28, 2013 at 4:59 PM

Victorino was out last night too.

Nava hit second.

I’m not really sure why Xander isn’t being considered for the 2 slot though.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 28, 2013 at 5:01 PM

Must be some veterany thing going on. You would know the dynamics of the Sox lineup better than me. Maybe they want more speed at the top? I presume Pedroia and Ellsbury are faster than Nava on the basepaths?

• tfbuckfutter - Oct 28, 2013 at 5:09 PM

Since Stephen Drew hasn’t been benched a single time this series….I don’t have any frigging clue about what goes in to making up the lineup.

I mean, it’s been working….sort of….

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 28, 2013 at 8:45 PM

Sounds like something John Farrell would say: “It’s been working… sort of”.

5. 8man - Oct 28, 2013 at 5:15 PM

I like it. Ortiz moves up one, maybe he can squeeze in an extra at bat. It’s good, except for the Drew batting part, but I guess you can argue that his fielding takes away a hit from the opposition each game…soooo…At least the Sox are still in this thing and Farrell knows he need’s to shake things up a bit against an overwhelming Cardinals staff. I like having Middlebrooks for later.

6. thebadguyswon - Oct 28, 2013 at 5:21 PM

St. Louis is going to have to start hitting. There’s no power from them whatsoever.

7. stlouis1baseball - Oct 28, 2013 at 5:27 PM

Here we go! Tied up at 2 games a piece headed into game #5.

Good luck Red Sox fans!

• theskinsman - Oct 28, 2013 at 6:53 PM

Outstanding World Series, Cards fans are knowledgeable and reasonable.At least compared to most fans of the team that ended up in 4th place in the AL East. Go Red Sox!!

8. spudchukar - Oct 28, 2013 at 5:51 PM

Line-up change! Craig is now in the line-up hitting 6th replacing Adams.

9. bobbysbabe64 - Oct 28, 2013 at 6:34 PM

let go Boston lets win this game

10. joestemme - Oct 28, 2013 at 7:14 PM

Maybe the Sox and Cardinals can work out a deal where the DH is allowed tonight.

NO, not for the pitchers, but for Freese and Drew!

eeesh, those two……….

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5066)