Oct 29, 2013, 7:27 PM EDT
Option decisions typically wait until after the World Series, but this one was such a no-brainer that the Milwaukee front office went ahead and pulled the early trigger. Aoki had a down year offensively in 2013 compared to his exceptional rookie campaign in 2012, but he was still a 1.7 fWAR player and worth $8.7 million by FanGraphs’ valuations.
Aoki has batted .287/.355/.399 with 18 home runs and 50 stolen bases in 306 games since leaving NPB’s Yakult Swallows for the Milwaukee Brewers prior to the start of the 2012 major league season.
The 31-year-old from Hyuga, Japan is set to become a free agent next winter.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 11
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Brandon Phillips: “How the [expletive] am I declining?” (61)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)