Oct 29, 2013, 10:38 PM EDT
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times shares this scoop:
What happens in the Dominican Republic winter league could significantly affect the Dodgers’ plans for next season.
The league will not only offer the Dodgers their first extended look at recently signed Cuban infielder Alexander Guerrero, it will also be where Dee Gordon attempts to move from shortstop to center field.
Gordon will serve as the primary center fielder for Tigres del Licey. Guerrero, who signed a four-year, $28 million contract with the Dodgers last week, will play second base for Gigantes del Cibao.
Gordon has some of the best raw speed in the major leagues and the hope is that his unique athleticism will allow for an easy transition to center field — a position he has not played at any level of affiliated ball. Matt Kemp should be the Dodgers’ center fielder when next season opens, but he has been prone to injuries in recent years and Los Angeles needs a reliable backup.
Gordon, 25, has a .256/.301/.312 career batting line. He can boast 66 stolen bases in 85 attempts.
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president, Al Avila takes over 0
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 28
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 22
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 89
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- Mets blow out Marlins, move past Nationals for first place in NL East 26
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 73
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)