Oct 29, 2013, 10:38 PM EDT
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times shares this scoop:
What happens in the Dominican Republic winter league could significantly affect the Dodgers’ plans for next season.
The league will not only offer the Dodgers their first extended look at recently signed Cuban infielder Alexander Guerrero, it will also be where Dee Gordon attempts to move from shortstop to center field.
Gordon will serve as the primary center fielder for Tigres del Licey. Guerrero, who signed a four-year, $28 million contract with the Dodgers last week, will play second base for Gigantes del Cibao.
Gordon has some of the best raw speed in the major leagues and the hope is that his unique athleticism will allow for an easy transition to center field — a position he has not played at any level of affiliated ball. Matt Kemp should be the Dodgers’ center fielder when next season opens, but he has been prone to injuries in recent years and Los Angeles needs a reliable backup.
Gordon, 25, has a .256/.301/.312 career batting line. He can boast 66 stolen bases in 85 attempts.
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 9
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 55
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 9
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 86
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 20
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- There’s nothing better than a Game 7? Well, maybe there is. 23
- Report: Cubs hire Joe Maddon as manager 70
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (277)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (147)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)