Oct 29, 2013, 10:38 PM EST
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times shares this scoop:
What happens in the Dominican Republic winter league could significantly affect the Dodgers’ plans for next season.
The league will not only offer the Dodgers their first extended look at recently signed Cuban infielder Alexander Guerrero, it will also be where Dee Gordon attempts to move from shortstop to center field.
Gordon will serve as the primary center fielder for Tigres del Licey. Guerrero, who signed a four-year, $28 million contract with the Dodgers last week, will play second base for Gigantes del Cibao.
Gordon has some of the best raw speed in the major leagues and the hope is that his unique athleticism will allow for an easy transition to center field — a position he has not played at any level of affiliated ball. Matt Kemp should be the Dodgers’ center fielder when next season opens, but he has been prone to injuries in recent years and Los Angeles needs a reliable backup.
Gordon, 25, has a .256/.301/.312 career batting line. He can boast 66 stolen bases in 85 attempts.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 163
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (163)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)