Oct 29, 2013, 10:38 PM EST
Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times shares this scoop:
What happens in the Dominican Republic winter league could significantly affect the Dodgers’ plans for next season.
The league will not only offer the Dodgers their first extended look at recently signed Cuban infielder Alexander Guerrero, it will also be where Dee Gordon attempts to move from shortstop to center field.
Gordon will serve as the primary center fielder for Tigres del Licey. Guerrero, who signed a four-year, $28 million contract with the Dodgers last week, will play second base for Gigantes del Cibao.
Gordon has some of the best raw speed in the major leagues and the hope is that his unique athleticism will allow for an easy transition to center field — a position he has not played at any level of affiliated ball. Matt Kemp should be the Dodgers’ center fielder when next season opens, but he has been prone to injuries in recent years and Los Angeles needs a reliable backup.
Gordon, 25, has a .256/.301/.312 career batting line. He can boast 66 stolen bases in 85 attempts.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (134)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)