Oct 29, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
San Diego would have non-tendered Clayton Richard ahead of his final trip to arbitration this offseason anyway, but the Padres cut ties before then by outrighting the veteran left-hander from the 40-man roster yesterday.
Richard had the option to accept an assignment to Triple-A sans roster spot or become a free agent and he chose the latter, so he’ll hit the open market looking for a new contract and a bounceback year in 2014.
Acquired from the White Sox in the Jake Peavy trade, Richard posted a sub-4.00 ERA for the Padres in 2010, 2011, and 2012, but he got knocked around for 44 runs in 53 innings this season before being shut down with a shoulder injury that required surgery. He made $5.2 million and the Padres obviously had no interest in paying him anything similar in 2014, so now he’ll likely be searching for a one-year deal at age 30.
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 29
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 283
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 50
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- Rob Manfred says a return to a 154-game season could happen one day 67
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (284)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)