A ticket for Game 6 is probably the most expensive ticket in baseball history

Oct 30, 2013, 9:01 AM EST

World Series Cardinals Red Sox Baseball

BOSTON — A possible World Series clinching game in a baseball-crazy city played in one of the smallest parks in Major League Baseball? Short supply meet huge demand.

Jeff Passan of Yahoo! reported that by early afternoon yesterday the average resale price for tickets sold on the secondary market was over $1,000, with some online inventory currently listing for in excess of $2,000.

Whether that’s wishful thinking by the resellers, I have no idea. But it’s certainly not just a resale price from an isolated entrepreneur. I was walking around Boston yesterday and overheard several conversations in which phrases like ” … that’s just too much money” or “Jesus Christ, I’m not spending a thousand bucks for a ticket …” were uttered, so the notion that no one is getting in to Fenway tonight for less than an arm and a leg is pretty widespread.

Either way: these are Super Bowl-level prices. For a baseball game. A John Lackey start at that! Nothing I ever thought I’d see.

1. stoutfiles - Oct 30, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Now just imagine how expensive a Game 6 ticket would cost in Chicago if the Cubs were one away from winning it all.

2. adowding3 - Oct 30, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Everyone is crazy about Wacha–and lets be honest, the kid has filthy stuff–but people just keep overlooking and doubting Lack (which is fine with him, ask Verlander how that turned out). Had it not been for the bullpen implosion in game three, Lackey gets a W, and Wacha is left on the hook from Papi’s homer. It was an incredibly well pitched game for 17 half innings. I am looking forward to it again tonight.

• pastabelly - Oct 30, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Lackey has been almost as good as Lester. He does tire earlier and is more dependent on the bridge in the bullpen. Wacha only made it through 6 in Game 2 and Breslow’s bad case of the WS yips helped him get the win. Wacha will probably have to be better than he was in Game 2 for the Cardinals to win.

• gostlcards5 - Oct 30, 2013 at 2:08 PM

Well stated. Wacha is awesome, but Lackey has been pretty darn great, too. I expect it to be a great game tonight. Hopefully the Cardinals can push it to Game 7.

3. pastabelly - Oct 30, 2013 at 9:15 AM

So, the Red Sox sell out streak ended this year and scalpers took a beating as the “pink hat” fans deserted the team. I couldn’t even sell standing room tickets (preferred to give them to a young lady who works for me) for Game 1 of the ALDS. I also had no problem getting ALCS Game #6 tickets.

My conclusions: The scalpers are recouping for a lost season and the pink hat fans are returning for the World Series. These very same frontrunner have desserted the Celtics and drove up prices on my Bruins 1/2 year season ticket package. Boston has great fans, but we have become a city of spoiled frontrunners. I’m happy the rich pink hat fans will be able to sing Sweet Caroline in the 8th inning.

• hojo20 - Oct 30, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Amen, the yachts are coming in from the Vineyard as we speak. The Beautiful People want to be at Fenway.

• IdahoMariner - Oct 30, 2013 at 12:05 PM

i am trying to think of a non-sexist origin for you calling them “pink-hat” fans, and failing.
      how ’bout we stick to “fair-weather fans” and NOT dip into insisting/reinforcing that the very worst thing you can call someone is a girl?
      “fair-weather fan” covers it….

• petey1999 - Oct 30, 2013 at 12:32 PM

No, pink hats fans actually wear pink hats. It’s not a metaphor.

• pastabelly - Oct 30, 2013 at 12:40 PM

In Boston, the term pink hat is meant more to describe the bandwagon fans and not their gender. It was great to see scalpers dumping tickets and losing money on Sox tickets this year. It was also great that it was so easy for me to take my son to the ALCS Game 6 deciding game. I know full well that I would never have gotten that opportunity before 2011 when this large group of people jumped off the bandwagon (and it seemed almost overnight that my Bruins tickets are twice as much as they used to be and their greedy owner couldn’t wait to capitalize).

• ctony1216 - Oct 30, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I took pink to mean a lighter shade than red, or a watered-down red — not a true red — Red Sox fan.

We have those at Yankee Stadium too, but don’t have a unique name for them yet.

• pastabelly - Oct 30, 2013 at 1:25 PM

Urban Dictionary on term Pink Hat – http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pink%20hat

Example is actually Red Sox related and funny.

• jcmeyer10 - Oct 30, 2013 at 2:29 PM

You’re telling me. Got a ten game Celtics ticket plan because my lady and I are in it when it’s good and when it’s bad.

4. alexo0 - Oct 30, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Boston hasn’t won a championship at home in 95 years. This is a once in a lifetime night for the city of Boston and all they’ve been through and overcome this year. B strong.

5. shaggylocks - Oct 30, 2013 at 9:23 AM

You think it’s crazy now, just wait to see what it’s like if they lose tonight and there’s a Game 7…

• anotheryx - Oct 30, 2013 at 11:24 AM

I think fans are more enthusiastic about game 6 than game 7, as the good (winning WS) out weigh the bad (force a game 7). Game 7 will have a more nervous excitement which might prevent the price go up as much.

6. stex52 - Oct 30, 2013 at 9:28 AM

A friend of mine sold two pairs of tickets to Cards games over the week end for $5000. He had a work conflict and had to skip. So the prices are about right.

Now, if a Cards fan thought they got their money’s worth, that is different.

7. rickdobrydney - Oct 30, 2013 at 9:37 AM

I have always wondered … what the hell does “Sweet Caroline” have to do with baseball anyway, and how did that piece of crap become the anthem of that team ??? I agree, you will hear it tonight, big time, with a LOT of pink hats ——

• josemartez - Oct 30, 2013 at 11:03 AM

You’re right. Boston is the only team in Major League Baseball with awful looking unofficial caps for people to buy and wear.

• petey1999 - Oct 30, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Yeah, we sure wouldn’t want anything that’s not official.

• ptfu - Oct 30, 2013 at 11:06 AM

1 random playing + big crowd response + superstitious Sox sound engineer = tradition

Neil “Baseball”** Diamond wrote the song about Caroline Kennedy. So while the song’s got nothing to do with baseball, it is distantly related to Boston.

**Not his actual nickname

• IdahoMariner - Oct 30, 2013 at 12:07 PM

also, how creepy is that, that he wrote it for caroline, when she was a little girl? i never knew that until about five years ago…completely changed the song for me.

8. larrytsg - Oct 30, 2013 at 9:52 AM

Hmmm, a guy whose employer furnishes him with a ticket for this game, and pays him on top of all of that, and HE’S complaining about the price of tickets?

Get one of Tiant’s Cuban Sandwiches, some of the best ballpark food out there.

• IdahoMariner - Oct 30, 2013 at 12:13 PM

dude, i don’t think he is complaining….i think he is just, you know, observing. like you do when you are paid to go somewhere and observe and then write about it.

• pastabelly - Oct 30, 2013 at 12:48 PM

My employer didn’t furnish me with the tickets. I bought standing room tickets online for the ALDS. Later, I was able to get actual seats on eBay for very close to the ticket price and then put the standing room on eBay for the price I paid for them. I had ZERO takers in two days and gave them to a young lady that works for me instead of lowering the eBay price beyond my cost. Nobody gave me anything. I decided to do something nice for someone who has been working hard and was out of pocket a little over $100. I registered for the chance to buy ALCS tickets and was chosen. I couldn’t get to my computer until 20 minutes after the opportunity to buy tickets had passed and still was able to buy two decent seats (Section 33 row 11) to Game 6 of the ALCS for face value. We had a great time. I am not complaining at all. I’m thrilled that the bandwagon jumpers left. Of course, the beautiful people are all coming back from their hibernation for Game 6 of the WS. We’ll see if it’s temporary or if “they” are back.

9. jacflash - Oct 30, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I have thought seriously about taking my son. I’ve gotten used to spending a few hundred bucks to see the Red Sox, but the cheapest pair of tix on StubHub in the part of Fenway where we usually sit were over $5k. *Maybe* worth it as a lifetime-memory thing if the Sox win, but… what if they don’t? (And… Lackey vs Wacha, the idea that the Sox might lose is not exactly farfetched.) Do I then cough up another $5k or more to see Game 7?

• IdahoMariner - Oct 30, 2013 at 12:12 PM

i would love to be able to afford your dilemma. but since i can’t, and you can….take your son. if they don’t win, you will still likely see a great game that will itself be historic (how many times do we look back at the crazy stuff that forced a game 7? all the time) – and you and your son will be able to point to the day and say you were there and it was great/crazy/whatever.

• pastabelly - Oct 30, 2013 at 12:52 PM

I took my son to Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Finals. Even though the Bs lost 6-5 in overtime, it was a great experience for my son. We are hockey fans first and also got to Game 3 against the Penguins (game where Campbell helped kill a key penalty skating on a broken leg). Face for the Cup Finals was $400 per ticket and I was okay to spend it, even with the loss. $5,000 for me is quite another matter.

10. patriottony - Oct 30, 2013 at 11:27 AM

TOO DAMN BAD -OBUMMER and his straphangers are coming…will totally hose up the game,,,esp being in Boston….UGH

11. nbjays - Oct 30, 2013 at 12:21 PM

Looks like my brother-in-law’s co-worker lucked out then. He knew a couple of weeks ago he would be in Boston on the night of a potential game 6 so he managed to get a ticket for just over $500, not even knowing if it would end up going to game 6. He’s a happy camper.

12. raysfan1 - Oct 30, 2013 at 12:33 PM

A buddy of mine paid $1k to see game 1 at Fenway in 2004. It was a great seat, but this isn’t at all surprising to me. Out of my price range though.

13. manhandler1 - Oct 30, 2013 at 1:14 PM

The whole ticket thing is a disgrace. Not just in this instance. We have multi millionaire sports “heroes” being paid an outrageous amount of money while the price of a decent seat is getting into the hundreds of dollars. How is a working bloke with a couple kids supposed to take his kids to see a game in these pathetic circumstances? Hear many of these greedy as all hell “heroes” talk about this sad situation? Hear any of the billionaire owners talk about trying to lower ticket prices? It will soon be that only wealthy people can go to a game. It’s sick.

• stex52 - Oct 30, 2013 at 1:48 PM

Wish I could argue with you about the outcome, handler. But I can’t. All of the major sports are moving toward a point where only corporations, the wealthy, and people who are willing to expend a large share of their income are going to be at games. Baseball is actually headed that way more slowly than the other sports. There are always nosebleed seats somewhere in the stadium. Best thing I can suggest is a good cable subscription and a large HDTV.

14. walterwhite1976 - Oct 30, 2013 at 1:54 PM

Regardless of the “pressure” the Red Sox would face if they lose game 6, nothing compares to what Cubs players felt after losing a game 6 vs the Marlins in 2003. And that was only for a trip TO the World Series.

15. dan46778 - Oct 30, 2013 at 1:59 PM

I rather stay home n watch it then go to Fenway old wooden seats home nice comfy couch Fenway $ 250 or more for food n beers home a hell of a lot cheeper

16. clavette - Oct 30, 2013 at 4:18 PM

Unless your raking in over $100g a year I’d recommend investing in a real nice tv and surround sound. Best choice I’ve made in my life. Havent gone to an nhl nfl or mlb game in 5 years and have no interest in doing so again. Evenregular season the bruins and sox are horribly priced for any decent seats

17. mvd513 - Oct 31, 2013 at 3:08 AM

watching the cardinals lose is priceless

18. mlblogssection15 - Nov 29, 2013 at 11:23 AM

One thing to keep in mind here, guys – the majority of people who attended game 6 did not pay scalpers’ prices.

If they had season tickets, they paid less than face value (season ticket discount).

If they didn’t, but entered the Sox ticket drawings, and paid face value, or moderate fees, they didn’t pay those prices.

The only people who paid those prices were those who didn’t have regular access to tickets.

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4769)
  2. M. Kemp (3776)
  3. M. Cabrera (2950)
  4. J. Kang (2904)
  5. J. Upton (2688)
  1. M. Morse (2645)
  2. W. Middlebrooks (2382)
  3. A. Rios (2324)