Oct 30, 2013, 7:39 PM EDT
From beat writers Scott Merkin and Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com:
The Blue Jays are in the market for a new second baseman, and one of their early targets appears to be Chicago’s Gordon Beckham.
MLB.com has learned that the Blue Jays have interest in acquiring the White Sox second baseman, which dates back to last offseason, when the possibility of a trade was first explored. The interest has since been renewed with general manager Alex Anthopoulos intent on upgrading the position.
Merkin and Chisholm suspect that the trade talks may grow to include pitchers like John Danks and Hector Santiago. Blue Jays general manager Alex Anthopoulos and White Sox general manager Rick Hahn both declined comment.
Beckham, the eighth overall pick in the 2008 MLB Amateur Draft, batted .270/.347/.460 with 14 home runs and 63 RBI during his breakout rookie campaign back in 2009. He has failed to return to that level of production in the seasons since and is the current owner of a weak .249/.314/.380 career slash line, but the 27-year-old is under contractual control through 2015 and has the talent to eventually take a step forward.
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 2
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 6
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 7
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 21
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 88
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (88)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)