Oct 30, 2013, 2:52 PM EDT
BOSTON — The last time there was a World Series Game 6 at Fenway Park, this happened:
That man is back again. As is Luis Tiant, who went 2-0 in the 1975 World Series. Tonight they will throw out ceremonial first pitches. Very cool. And, for Boston fans anyway, maybe a Game 6 good luck charm. The less we talk about Game 7 of 1975 the better they’ll like it.
In news of somewhat less-historic stature: Quincy, Massachusetts’ own Dropkick Murphys will perform the National Anthem. They will also play “I’m Shipping Up To Boston” as part of the pre-game ceremonies. I’ve found people’s mileage varies wildly on the merits of the Murphys, but you can’t say they aren’t a part of recent Boston Red Sox lore.
Still: the Pixies are from Boston too. Just sayin’.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 5
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 44
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 107
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 56
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (108)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (83)