Oct 30, 2013, 2:52 PM EST
BOSTON — The last time there was a World Series Game 6 at Fenway Park, this happened:
That man is back again. As is Luis Tiant, who went 2-0 in the 1975 World Series. Tonight they will throw out ceremonial first pitches. Very cool. And, for Boston fans anyway, maybe a Game 6 good luck charm. The less we talk about Game 7 of 1975 the better they’ll like it.
In news of somewhat less-historic stature: Quincy, Massachusetts’ own Dropkick Murphys will perform the National Anthem. They will also play “I’m Shipping Up To Boston” as part of the pre-game ceremonies. I’ve found people’s mileage varies wildly on the merits of the Murphys, but you can’t say they aren’t a part of recent Boston Red Sox lore.
Still: the Pixies are from Boston too. Just sayin’.
- Someone apparently got Jayson Werth’s autograph in jail 8
- Chris Davis opens up about his Adderall suspension: “It was a moment of weakness” 50
- MLB.com names Byron Buxton as baseball’s top prospect for second straight year 32
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 101
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 48
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 39
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants (103)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)