Oct 30, 2013, 2:52 PM EST
BOSTON — The last time there was a World Series Game 6 at Fenway Park, this happened:
That man is back again. As is Luis Tiant, who went 2-0 in the 1975 World Series. Tonight they will throw out ceremonial first pitches. Very cool. And, for Boston fans anyway, maybe a Game 6 good luck charm. The less we talk about Game 7 of 1975 the better they’ll like it.
In news of somewhat less-historic stature: Quincy, Massachusetts’ own Dropkick Murphys will perform the National Anthem. They will also play “I’m Shipping Up To Boston” as part of the pre-game ceremonies. I’ve found people’s mileage varies wildly on the merits of the Murphys, but you can’t say they aren’t a part of recent Boston Red Sox lore.
Still: the Pixies are from Boston too. Just sayin’.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)