Fenway Park: Absolute Bedlam

Oct 30, 2013, 11:36 PM EDT

BOSTON — In between the third and fourth inning of Game 6, the Boston Police Department issued a statement that the Bars around Fenway Park were at full capacity so, please, don’t bother coming down here. Based on what I saw in and around Fenway Park this evening, I am 100% certain that no one heeded that request. There’s no moving on those streets down there as I write this, and most of the fans in attendance tonight haven’t even left the ballpark yet.

I’d never been to Fenway Park before, but I didn’t need anyone to tell me that, in terms of electricity and excitement, what was going on here was something different, something new. But they told me anyway. A writer I know who gets to Fenway often said he’d never heard it this loud or seen it this crazy. A reader who lives in the Kenmore Square area tweeted to tell me that he’s been out in the neighborhood this evening and he’d never heard anything like it before. Heck, midway through the game a couple of fans just waltzed into the press box, beers and hand, and decided it’d be a good place to hang out. It was quite the scene.

But that was just the looney stuff. The exuberance that comes after the game is truly decided and everyone starts the long party. It couldn’t compare at all to what was going on in the third and fourth innings.

The auxiliary press box was my home at Fenway tonight. It’s way out in section 3 of the right field grandstand and is surrounded by fans who bought tickets. And, while all of the tickets for tonight’s game were expensive, these are, comparatively speaking, the cheap seats. And as everyone knows, the cheap seats are the loudest seats. I was generally able to hear myself think for the first couple of innings, but then in the third David Ortiz was being intentionally walked and a chorus of boos rained down. Then Mike Napoli struck out. Then Shane Victorino came up:

“Don’t worry … ’bout a thing …

“CAUSE EVERY LITTLE THING, GONNA BE ALRIGHT!!!!!”

source:

It sounds moderately cheesy on TV. It is absolutely electric in person.  But that didn’t compare a lick to the sound that emanated from the 38,447 in attendance when Victorino smacked the fourth Michael Wacha pitch he saw off the Green Monster. I would say that, an inning later, Stephen Drew‘s solo homer jacked them up again but that would be misleading because they hadn’t yet come down. By the time Victorino came to the plate again — following Jacoby Ellsbury‘s double and walks to David Ortiz and Jonny Gomes — it was absolute bedlam. When Victorino singled in Ortiz to make it 6-0, the rafters rattled.

source:

There were still five innings to go, but Boston knew it had its third World Series championship in ten years. And Boston isn’t going to sleep until the sun comes up tomorrow morning.

1. peterjohnjoseph - Oct 30, 2013 at 11:42 PM

Craig, that was amazing. I’m glad you got to enjoy this in person and see what the city is about. A know a few bad apples, and some eccentric personalities can give us a bad rep, but its events like this that define us as a whole. I’m jealous as can be, but not jealous at the fact that you still have to get home somehow tonight in one piece. Good luck with that, and please be safe. Don’t let drunk idiots ruin the experience for you, or your perception of the city.

2. 1historian - Oct 30, 2013 at 11:47 PM

and there was the chick that got on the field because she is a chick and pretends to be a reporter and talked to one of the Sox and asked him “How do you feel?”

That’s when I turned it off.

Way to go, guys.

3. peterjohnjoseph - Oct 30, 2013 at 11:49 PM

By the way.. I’m not that far of a distance from the city as far as car/train (>10 minutes), but its still a good distance, and I could literally see the fireworks from here. Unreal. Please, everyone be safe tonight. I’ve been in these celebrations before and some just can’t handle the excitement and the freedom. Be safe.

4. ch0psuey - Oct 30, 2013 at 11:49 PM

Prob gonna be some type of riot/bedlam in the hours to come. Its Boston for gods sake…

• peterjohnjoseph - Oct 30, 2013 at 11:52 PM

Well, if Vancouver can cause a full blown riot, any town can. Its not just Boston.

• mpops86 - Oct 31, 2013 at 1:10 AM

The closest I came to seeing Boston riot was after Italy won the World Cup, and that was downright tame compared to Vancouver losing or your typical Saturday evening in Montréal. Show me when Boston has rioted, please?

• rbj1 - Oct 31, 2013 at 8:08 AM

March 5, 1770? Though there were also protests about busing in the 1970s.

5. yourcubreporter - Oct 30, 2013 at 11:59 PM

The over/under on burned police cars in Boston is 2.5 tonight. I’m taking the over…

6. misterj167 - Oct 31, 2013 at 12:10 AM

ESPN would be covering it but all their reporters are still hanging around Nationals Park

• aceshigh11 - Oct 31, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Bwahahaha.

7. junglerat524 - Oct 31, 2013 at 12:12 AM

JONNY GOMES !!!!

8. franklinandbashandflorio - Oct 31, 2013 at 12:16 AM

Best thing about the Series is McCarvers Outta There! Good Riddance!!!!!!!!!!

9. redsoxchamp11 - Oct 31, 2013 at 12:21 AM

priceless feeling.

10. raysfan1 - Oct 31, 2013 at 12:26 AM

Congrats again, Boston fans. I lived in Waltham once for a year and loved every minute of it, with many happy memories of Fenway and the city of Boston. I’d have preferred my Rays to have won, but I’m happy for you.

For the Cardinals, congratulations on being NL champs. I understand your disappointment and have several Card fan friends.

105 days until pitchers and catchers report.

• indaburg - Oct 31, 2013 at 6:14 AM

If I may parrot raysfan1’s sentiments, congratulations, Red Sox fans. This is one of those years when the best team is actually the World Series champ.

105 days. Sigh.

• stex52 - Oct 31, 2013 at 8:36 AM

My God. That’s forever. What will we do?

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 31, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Get high until Spring Training.

• indaburg - Oct 31, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Drinking a mixture of whiskey and tears until February.

• Francisco (FC) - Oct 31, 2013 at 9:59 AM

At least your team has a SMART GM.

11. shadowoflambeau311 - Oct 31, 2013 at 12:52 AM

Great article Craig. God, I hope Wrigley looks like this someday.

12. mpops86 - Oct 31, 2013 at 1:06 AM

Are you kidding me? Your first time to Fenway? And you contribute to a baseball blog? Wow…

Don’t be led astray, Fenway is an electric place to take in games 1, 45, and 159, too. Boston fans just get it on a level that most other cities never reach.

• Craig Calcaterra - Oct 31, 2013 at 2:06 AM

I am willing to bet I’ve been to far more parks than you. Just because I hadn’t until tonight, made it to the one you like the best doesn’t make me less of a baseball guy, buddy.

• cocheese000 - Oct 31, 2013 at 8:16 AM

Is the cost of your tickets tax deductible? I would think they are considering you write for a baseball website.

• patsandsox - Oct 31, 2013 at 10:10 AM

Sounds like the whinny answer from a spoiled rich kid. ” Well I never have been to fenway park but I have more money than you so I have been to more parks than you have.”

• chrisernst82 - Oct 31, 2013 at 11:11 AM

After all the Cardinal bashing I didn’t think I could like you less Craig. This did it though, Stay classy!

• jarathen - Oct 31, 2013 at 7:38 AM

I was in Boston for Jonathan Papelbon’s Major League debut (as a starter even!) and the place was full capacity and the fans were way into it. Definitely the kind of atmosphere I could see players really enjoying.

• yahmule - Oct 31, 2013 at 9:03 AM

For a nanosecond there I was going to congratulate Boston fans. Thank you, mpops86. Your stereotypical douchebag Red Sox fan mentality brought me back to reality.

13. 8man - Oct 31, 2013 at 1:14 AM

And tomorrow is Halloween. And then the parade is probably Saturday. They will party until Sunday morning. Just in time to wake up and watch the Patriots play the Steelers…oh my…big weekend in Boston!

14. roverboy1949 - Oct 31, 2013 at 7:58 AM

As a kid, I lived on Newbury Street just on the other side of the Mass Pike( which wasn’t there when I was a kid!), and my uncle used to take me and my brother to the games to sit in the bleachers. Seeing some great players on the Sox and their opposing teams was a great time in my life. The last time I was at Fenway Park was for Game 6, and saw THE home run by Fisk. I moved away after that year, but remained a Sox fan, to the disdain of my friends.
    Fenway has always been a special place, win or lose. The history is incredible. I’m glad, and a little jealous, that you got a first-hand look at history being made there. First time or 100th time, it’s special.

• yahmule - Oct 31, 2013 at 9:06 AM

You were at that game, too? I’ll never understand how they fit a quarter of a million people into Fenway that night, but that must have been part of the magic.

• roverboy1949 - Oct 31, 2013 at 9:16 AM

I know you probably don’t believe it, and I really don’t care if you do, but there were some of us that actually were there. Bernie Carbo’s homer landed about 25 feet from where I was sitting. Even a jerk-off like you can’t take that away from me.

• yahmule - Oct 31, 2013 at 1:30 PM

I just did, poser.

15. ohionick - Oct 31, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Congrats to the Red Sox and all fans everywhere!!! Y’all deserve the honor as the team played great baseball and those of you who were at Fenway were absolutely great.
    I’ve been to Boston many times, but usually never during baseball season or when they were on the road. :-(
    However, I certainly have a Red Sox game at Fenway on our Bucket List. I’ve been to Camden Yards last year and saw Josh Hamilton hit 4 homers in a single game from 17 rows behind home plate.
    I grew up going to Crosley Field to watch a Reds game or two. I’ve been to 7 World Series games in my life at Riverfront Stadium and while it was not painful to see the Reds beat the Yankees, it was a time of mixed emotions to see them beat the Red Sox.
    Any team which has as many guys with beards as the Red Sox players, is tops on my list. And, a heart-attack victim was one of the stars of the series. Amazing!

Enjoy your celebrations… you folks deserve it!!!! Please be cool, as well.

– a bearded fellow from Ohio

16. yahmule - Oct 31, 2013 at 9:08 AM

• yahmule - Oct 31, 2013 at 9:13 AM

• billhicks666 - Nov 6, 2013 at 8:58 PM

What’s it like to be such a miserable little man, yahmule?

17. Francisco (FC) - Oct 31, 2013 at 10:03 AM

Man, why can’t fans celebrate like Mardi Gras and just show their chests to the world. Why is it always windshield bashing or car flipping?

18. 2dmo4 - Oct 31, 2013 at 10:25 AM

What kind of a sports reporter/blogger has never been to Fenway before?

19. ibsoberwarrior - Oct 31, 2013 at 6:37 PM

Ok Boston is the best team Congrats on 3 WS since 2005. Now shaved those horrible beards !!!

All the trade deadline news to know