Oct 31, 2013, 8:31 PM EDT
After saving 22 games in 25 chances in 2012, Janssen further cemented himself in the closer role this season by compiling a 2.56 ERA, 34 saves, and a 50/13 K/BB ratio over 52 2/3 innings. The 32-year-old quietly owns a 2.46 ERA in 173 appearances dating back to the start of 2011.
Janssen will remain a bargain in 2014, but he’ll be in line for a nice payday next winter if he can remain healthy and effective.
- Mike Minor loses his no-hit bid with two outs in the eighth 4
- Manny Machado to undergo season-ending knee surgery 25
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 219
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 95
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 31
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (235)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (96)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (86)