Oct 31, 2013, 11:10 PM EST
We learned earlier tonight that the Blue Jays exercised their 2014 option on closer Casey Janssen, but Shi Davidi of Sportsnet.ca now reports that the club has also picked up their options on first baseman Adam Lind and utility player Mark DeRosa.
Lind is coming off a solid bounce back campaign in which he batted .288/.357/.497 with 23 home runs and 67 RBI over 143 games. His .854 OPS was his highest since 2009. The 30-year-old will be paid $7 million next season while the Blue Jays still hold club options for 2015 and 2016.
DeRosa managed to stay mostly healthy this season while batting .235/.326/.407 with seven home runs and 36 RBI in 88 games. He appeared in his most games since 2009. The option was only for $750,000, so the Blue Jays will take their chances with DeRosa headed into his age-39 season. It’s worth noting that he has discussed the possibility of retirement.
While Janssen, Lind, and DeRosa remain in the fold, the Blue Jays have declined the $1 million option on fan favorite infielder Munenori Kawasaki. Of course, it’s possible that he could return at a lower rate.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 0
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)