Oct 31, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Shields lived up to his end of the bargain after the Royals gave up a ton to get him (and Wade Davis) from the Rays last offseason, throwing a league-leading 229 innings with a 3.15 ERA and 196/68 K/BB ratio.
Next season will be Shields’ final under contract before hitting the open market, which is why the Royals were frequently criticized for parting with stud prospect Wil Myers (among others) for him in December. Myers had a fantastic rookie season for Tampa Bay, hitting .293 with an .831 OPS in 88 games at age 22, and may end up winning Rookie of the Year. He’s under the Rays’ control through 2019.
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 2
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 55
- Breaking: The Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 99
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 70
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- Dodgers, Marlins, Braves trade involving Mat Latos “simply being held up by paperwork” 76
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 74
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)