Oct 31, 2013, 2:14 PM EDT
Shields lived up to his end of the bargain after the Royals gave up a ton to get him (and Wade Davis) from the Rays last offseason, throwing a league-leading 229 innings with a 3.15 ERA and 196/68 K/BB ratio.
Next season will be Shields’ final under contract before hitting the open market, which is why the Royals were frequently criticized for parting with stud prospect Wil Myers (among others) for him in December. Myers had a fantastic rookie season for Tampa Bay, hitting .293 with an .831 OPS in 88 games at age 22, and may end up winning Rookie of the Year. He’s under the Rays’ control through 2019.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 55
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 5
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- Andrew McCutchen cut his hair for the first time in eight years (76)