Colin Wyers of Baseball Prospectus hired by the Houston Astros

Nov 1, 2013, 8:44 AM EDT

astros logo new

Colin Wyers, author and statistical modler-person of Baseball Prospectus has been hired by The Man:

I have some news to share with y’all. I am excited and a little sad to tell you that I’ve been hired by the Houston Astros as a mathematical modeler in their Decision Sciences department.

I know Colin in that way you know people on the Internet (i.e. we have mutual friends and we joke with one another on Twitter sometimes). So, of course, I am happy for him. And hopeful. I mean, perhaps this job with the Astros will lead Colin getting hired by a Major League team one day!

Sorry. I kid, because I love. Save your hate, Astros fans.

And save your “you silly statheads don’t know how baseball really works in the real world” stuff, old timey baseball fans and writers. Because as this hire — and several hundred which have come in baseball before this over the past couple of decades — shows you that the people in the business of running real world baseball teams value the kind of knowledge and insight guys like Colin provide.

1. moogro - Nov 1, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Gritty hire.

2. sportsdrenched - Nov 1, 2013 at 9:27 AM

Damn it Astros, stop taking all the good baseball follows on Twitter. I honestly miss Kevin Goldstein’s pre Astros tweeting days.

3. favrewillplay4ever - Nov 1, 2013 at 10:29 AM

It’s always nice to hear about one of your buddies in the business moving up.

This begs me to ask, Craig: you seemingly have a pretty sweet gig here where you get to earn a reasonably decent living by talking about and sharing your insight on all things baseball. . . If given the opportunity, would you throw in the hat with this if you could work first hand with one of the MLB clubs… Or do you prefer to stay on the outside in the media aspect of the business we all love?

• paperlions - Nov 1, 2013 at 12:04 PM

Doing what?

Craig doesn’t have any skills that would be useful to an MLB team, unless he’s going to work in their legal department.

• Craig Calcaterra - Nov 1, 2013 at 1:13 PM

What he said. Teams need guys who can do modeling, databases, statistical analysis and they need scouting people. I pretty much have zero skills that would be useful to them outside of stuff like legal, spokesman, etc.

Sometimes you see media people get jobs with team PR. I feel like I’d be a bad choice for that, hahaha.

4. favrewillplay4ever - Nov 1, 2013 at 12:19 PM

Paper… Gotta give you major props there.. Great burn. I always enjoy seeing your comments on here

• paperlions - Nov 1, 2013 at 12:24 PM

I didn’t mean it as a burn. It is just true. Craig is a fan/blogger who writes about baseball. Baseball has been hiring people that do independent analysis, programming, and modeling to advance understanding of baseball and that have demonstrated the ability to effectively communicate what they have learned….not people that just really really really like baseball a whole lot and write about it online. All of the guys hired by teams have great analytical and programming skills that the teams hope to use to develop proprietary metrics, models, and approaches to understanding baseball….which is why the Astros now have a Decision Sciences Department, because the value of such things is to convert new/better understanding into better decision making processes that improve your ability to turn scouting, drafting, development, into winning baseball games.

It is not an affront to Craig (or nearly anyone else) to say that they don’t have those skills.

• Craig Calcaterra - Nov 1, 2013 at 1:14 PM