Nov 1, 2013, 8:44 AM EDT
Colin Wyers, author and statistical modler-person of Baseball Prospectus has been hired by The Man:
I have some news to share with y’all. I am excited and a little sad to tell you that I’ve been hired by the Houston Astros as a mathematical modeler in their Decision Sciences department.
I know Colin in that way you know people on the Internet (i.e. we have mutual friends and we joke with one another on Twitter sometimes). So, of course, I am happy for him. And hopeful. I mean, perhaps this job with the Astros will lead Colin getting hired by a Major League team one day!
Sorry. I kid, because I love. Save your hate, Astros fans.
And save your “you silly statheads don’t know how baseball really works in the real world” stuff, old timey baseball fans and writers. Because as this hire — and several hundred which have come in baseball before this over the past couple of decades — shows you that the people in the business of running real world baseball teams value the kind of knowledge and insight guys like Colin provide.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 35
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 60
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)