David Ortiz, Shane Victorino, the bullpen cop and “one lucky fan” will shave on Monday

Nov 1, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT

Jarrod Saltalamacchia

I just got an email from a P.R. person about some event Gillette is putting on Monday in which some of the Red Sox’ beards will be shaved:

Following the World Series victory, Gillette is helping champions, MVP David Ortiz, Shane Victorino, Boston Police Officer Steve Horgan and one lucky bearded fan trim down and shave off their rugged beards at the Gillette World Shaving Headquarters … Gillette is helping Ortiz and Victorino feel their best with well-deserved shaves. The hometown heroes will start their offseason as champions well groomed and shaved.

I presume David Ross and Jonny Gomes went fully feral after Wednesday night and can’t be captured and shaved.

I also presume that, since there is a “World Shaving Headquarters,” all of us have been shaving at field offices. Who knew?

But don’t bother changing your plans for Monday to go watch the shaving. The press release says the event is “open to media only.” I’d go, but man, I figure the throngs of reporters will be so great that I won’t even be able to see what’s going on.

In other news: Fight the Power.

1. dondada10 - Nov 1, 2013 at 8:09 PM

FYI, No Shave November kicks off today.

2. elmerbrownelmerbrown - Nov 1, 2013 at 8:28 PM

This is pretty cool !

3. jxegh - Nov 1, 2013 at 8:46 PM

They offered Wilson a million dollars to shave his beard – how much for these two guys?

4. moogro - Nov 1, 2013 at 8:50 PM

If David gets a bronze bust, that sculpted beard thing would be great on it.

5. fearthehoody - Nov 1, 2013 at 8:57 PM

Meanwhile, the “Lucky fan” who won the Man-scaping with Prince Fielder contest gets no pub!

6. keltictim - Nov 1, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Napoli attempted to go feral and fractured his hip. 5 min into his escape to the wild

7. j0esixpack - Nov 1, 2013 at 10:30 PM

I’m not sure whether it helped or not, but – superstitious me – during this entire season I was letting my pubic hair grow

I guess I’m safe shaving now… though I hope this doesn’t jinx them for next season.

I wonder if I can get Gillette to sponsor me as well.

8. mikejr80 - Nov 2, 2013 at 12:53 AM

Boston wins baby. Good because I as braves fan. I sooooo happy

9. ckhoss29 - Nov 2, 2013 at 7:48 AM

Baseball better hope Papi nicks himself shaving then they can snatch the razor and test it for hgh and other PEDS all stealth like.

• mornelithe - Nov 2, 2013 at 11:34 AM

I know it’ll dismay you to hear it, but Ortiz showed up to camp much lighter than in previous years, which is kind of counter to what you’d see from steroids/hgh.

• skfd365 - Nov 2, 2013 at 6:22 PM

Not a Red Sox fan then worry about your own team.

10. aceshigh11 - Nov 2, 2013 at 11:45 AM

Ironic considering that Ortiz had the most well-kept and sculpted beard of the bunch, and Victorino’s growth was fairly light.

Gomes, Napoli, Ross and Pedroia are the ones who REALLY need to trim down those LOTR dwarf-like monstrosities.

Pujols deal still worth it to Angels?
  1. I. Davis (4014)