Nov 1, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Jason Kubel didn’t hit much after being traded from Arizona to Cleveland in late August and the Indians have declined his $7.5 million option for 2014.
It was an expected move and in fact so expected that the Diamondbacks sent enough cash to cover the $1 million buyout of Kubel’s option as part of the trade.
As a free agent two offseasons ago Kubel landed a two-year, $16 million deal and he played well in the first season of the deal, but now at age 31 and coming off a rough year he may have to settle for a one-year pact as platoon designated hitter or left fielder.
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 87
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 75
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 69
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 115
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 55
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (116)