Nov 1, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
Jason Kubel didn’t hit much after being traded from Arizona to Cleveland in late August and the Indians have declined his $7.5 million option for 2014.
It was an expected move and in fact so expected that the Diamondbacks sent enough cash to cover the $1 million buyout of Kubel’s option as part of the trade.
As a free agent two offseasons ago Kubel landed a two-year, $16 million deal and he played well in the first season of the deal, but now at age 31 and coming off a rough year he may have to settle for a one-year pact as platoon designated hitter or left fielder.
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 290
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks 131
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (290)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)