Nov 1, 2013, 5:27 PM EDT
Not many 39-year-old relievers are in position to turn down $9.5 million in guaranteed money, but Nathan is coming off a fantastic season in which he saved 43 games with a 1.39 ERA and 73/22 K/BB ratio in 65 innings.
In two seasons with the Rangers he threw 129 innings with a 2.09 ERA, all directly following Tommy John elbow surgery, so Nathan obviously isn’t your average 39-year-old reliever. He’s banking on getting a multi-year deal for similar money per year.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 42
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (127)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)