Nov 1, 2013, 5:27 PM EST
Not many 39-year-old relievers are in position to turn down $9.5 million in guaranteed money, but Nathan is coming off a fantastic season in which he saved 43 games with a 1.39 ERA and 73/22 K/BB ratio in 65 innings.
In two seasons with the Rangers he threw 129 innings with a 2.09 ERA, all directly following Tommy John elbow surgery, so Nathan obviously isn’t your average 39-year-old reliever. He’s banking on getting a multi-year deal for similar money per year.
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 0
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 54
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 15
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 120
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27