Nov 1, 2013, 5:27 PM EDT
Not many 39-year-old relievers are in position to turn down $9.5 million in guaranteed money, but Nathan is coming off a fantastic season in which he saved 43 games with a 1.39 ERA and 73/22 K/BB ratio in 65 innings.
In two seasons with the Rangers he threw 129 innings with a 2.09 ERA, all directly following Tommy John elbow surgery, so Nathan obviously isn’t your average 39-year-old reliever. He’s banking on getting a multi-year deal for similar money per year.
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 27
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 20
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 28
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 5
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 23
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (103)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)