Nov 1, 2013, 5:27 PM EST
Not many 39-year-old relievers are in position to turn down $9.5 million in guaranteed money, but Nathan is coming off a fantastic season in which he saved 43 games with a 1.39 ERA and 73/22 K/BB ratio in 65 innings.
In two seasons with the Rangers he threw 129 innings with a 2.09 ERA, all directly following Tommy John elbow surgery, so Nathan obviously isn’t your average 39-year-old reliever. He’s banking on getting a multi-year deal for similar money per year.
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 236
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 307
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (239)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (136)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)