Nov 1, 2013, 5:02 PM EDT
Gutierrez once looked like a potential star, combining exceptional defense in center field with above-average offense, but he’s been healthy enough to play just 41, 40, and 92 games during the past three seasons and Seattle chose not to keep him around for $7.5 million.
Saunders signed a one-year, $6.5 million deal as a free agent last offseason and that deal included a 2014 mutual option that’s now been turned down after he threw 183 innings with a 5.36 ERA at age 32.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 11
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 47
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 28
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 58
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (110)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)