Nov 1, 2013, 2:04 PM EDT
It was obviously a no-brainer move, as Santana missed the entire season following shoulder surgery and is no sure thing to be ready for the beginning of next year. He’ll likely be looking for an incentive-laden one-year contract on the open market and publicly at least the Mets have indicated they’re interested in re-signing him for a much, much lower price.
Santana last saw action in an MLB game on August 17, 2012. He ended up throwing 717 innings with a 3.18 ERA for the Mets while making $137.5 million.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 45
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 37
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 88
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 17
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 21
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)