Nov 1, 2013, 9:15 AM EDT
Ubaldo Jimenez is no dummy. After seeing Tim Lincecum get $35 million, Jimenez said thanks but no thanks to the Indians after they exercised their half of the $8 million option for 2014, thereby becoming a free agent.
Jimenez had a nice bounce back year for the Indians. Going 13-9 with a 3.30 ERA in 32 starts. Whether that was a fluke or a return to form for Jimenez — who was putrid in 2012 and whose 2011 wasn’t anything close to his best years prior — is an interesting question. All of his rate stats and peripherals went in the right direction, so there is hope. But, yeah, it could have been a fluke.
Regardless, in this day and age pitching gets paid. And Jimenez stands to make way, way more than that $8 million the Indians were, in essence, offering him. They will no probably give him a qualifying offer of $14 million or so today and he will have to decide if he wants that.
My guess is he says “nope” and takes a multi-year deal. Because really, outside of the Masahiro Tanaka derby, Matt Garza and Ervin Santana, there isn’t a ton of pitching to be had on the free agent market.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 15
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 34
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 109
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (109)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)