Nov 1, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Wandy Rodriguez‘s decision may have been at least somewhat tough had he put together a healthy season, but after spending the final four months on the disabled list it was an easy call: He exercised a $13 million player option to remain with the Pirates in 2014.
Before going down with elbow problems in early June he started 12 games with a 3.59 ERA and Rodriguez has posted a 3.66 ERA in 138 innings since the Pirates acquired him from the Astros in mid-2012.
If healthy he’s proven to be a solid mid-rotation starter and $13 million for a one-year deal is hardly a crazy price tag for that, but obviously the injury concerns make it a risk for the Pirates.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 3
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 45
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 87
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)