Nov 1, 2013, 3:45 PM EDT
Wandy Rodriguez‘s decision may have been at least somewhat tough had he put together a healthy season, but after spending the final four months on the disabled list it was an easy call: He exercised a $13 million player option to remain with the Pirates in 2014.
Before going down with elbow problems in early June he started 12 games with a 3.59 ERA and Rodriguez has posted a 3.66 ERA in 138 innings since the Pirates acquired him from the Astros in mid-2012.
If healthy he’s proven to be a solid mid-rotation starter and $13 million for a one-year deal is hardly a crazy price tag for that, but obviously the injury concerns make it a risk for the Pirates.
- John Schuerholz defines “The Braves Way.” And it’s a pretty big pile of crap. 55
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 26
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 42
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 46
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (124)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (89)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)