Nov 1, 2013, 3:45 PM EST
Wandy Rodriguez‘s decision may have been at least somewhat tough had he put together a healthy season, but after spending the final four months on the disabled list it was an easy call: He exercised a $13 million player option to remain with the Pirates in 2014.
Before going down with elbow problems in early June he started 12 games with a 3.59 ERA and Rodriguez has posted a 3.66 ERA in 138 innings since the Pirates acquired him from the Astros in mid-2012.
If healthy he’s proven to be a solid mid-rotation starter and $13 million for a one-year deal is hardly a crazy price tag for that, but obviously the injury concerns make it a risk for the Pirates.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 75
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)