Nov 2, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT
After spending the last eight seasons with the Reds, Bronson Arroyo will almost certainly be pitching elsewhere next season. And while the Hot Stove is just getting warmed up, Dan Martin of the New York Post brings the following tidbit about a potential landing spot for the free agent right-hander:
The Mets’ hopes for the backbone of their team next season to be starting pitching suffered a crushing blow when Matt Harvey was lost following Tommy John surgery.
If they are going to have any chance of staying relevant in 2014, the Mets will almost certainly have to lure someone like Bronson Arroyo to help the rotation.
While the Mets have not contacted Arroyo yet, that should change.
“Bronson is an East Coast guy and would definitely consider the Mets,” Arroyo’s agent, Terry Bross, said. “But we’re going to take our time with this.”
It would be silly to rule out any team, so this ultimately doesn’t mean much. Still, the Mets expect to be active in free agency with a lot of money coming off the books, and could use a veteran arm with Jon Niese, Zack Wheeler, and Dillon Gee as the only locks for the starting rotation.
Arroyo, 36, posted a 3.79 ERA and 124/34 K/BB ratio over 32 starts this season and has logged at least 199 innings in each of the last nine seasons. He’s looking for at least a two-year deal and should have no problem finding it.
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 9
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 1
- The greatest trick this Royals bullpen ever pulled … 3
- Adam Wainwright underwent elbow surgery to “trim” cartilage 11
- World Series, Game 3: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Andrew Friedman got $35 million to leave the Rays for the Dodgers … and he might be underpaid 13
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays 141
- World Series Reset: On to AT&T Park 14
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (101)