Nov 2, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT
After spending the last eight seasons with the Reds, Bronson Arroyo will almost certainly be pitching elsewhere next season. And while the Hot Stove is just getting warmed up, Dan Martin of the New York Post brings the following tidbit about a potential landing spot for the free agent right-hander:
The Mets’ hopes for the backbone of their team next season to be starting pitching suffered a crushing blow when Matt Harvey was lost following Tommy John surgery.
If they are going to have any chance of staying relevant in 2014, the Mets will almost certainly have to lure someone like Bronson Arroyo to help the rotation.
While the Mets have not contacted Arroyo yet, that should change.
“Bronson is an East Coast guy and would definitely consider the Mets,” Arroyo’s agent, Terry Bross, said. “But we’re going to take our time with this.”
It would be silly to rule out any team, so this ultimately doesn’t mean much. Still, the Mets expect to be active in free agency with a lot of money coming off the books, and could use a veteran arm with Jon Niese, Zack Wheeler, and Dillon Gee as the only locks for the starting rotation.
Arroyo, 36, posted a 3.79 ERA and 124/34 K/BB ratio over 32 starts this season and has logged at least 199 innings in each of the last nine seasons. He’s looking for at least a two-year deal and should have no problem finding it.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 41
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (126)