Nov 2, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT
After spending the last eight seasons with the Reds, Bronson Arroyo will almost certainly be pitching elsewhere next season. And while the Hot Stove is just getting warmed up, Dan Martin of the New York Post brings the following tidbit about a potential landing spot for the free agent right-hander:
The Mets’ hopes for the backbone of their team next season to be starting pitching suffered a crushing blow when Matt Harvey was lost following Tommy John surgery.
If they are going to have any chance of staying relevant in 2014, the Mets will almost certainly have to lure someone like Bronson Arroyo to help the rotation.
While the Mets have not contacted Arroyo yet, that should change.
“Bronson is an East Coast guy and would definitely consider the Mets,” Arroyo’s agent, Terry Bross, said. “But we’re going to take our time with this.”
It would be silly to rule out any team, so this ultimately doesn’t mean much. Still, the Mets expect to be active in free agency with a lot of money coming off the books, and could use a veteran arm with Jon Niese, Zack Wheeler, and Dillon Gee as the only locks for the starting rotation.
Arroyo, 36, posted a 3.79 ERA and 124/34 K/BB ratio over 32 starts this season and has logged at least 199 innings in each of the last nine seasons. He’s looking for at least a two-year deal and should have no problem finding it.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)