Nov 2, 2013, 9:54 AM EDT
Add another name to the list of candidates for Cubs manager.
Tony Andracki of CSNChicago.com reports that the Cubs interviewed Padres special assistant and former major league catcher Brad Ausmus for their managerial opening yesterday. He becomes the sixth reported candidate to interview, joining former Mariners manager Eric Wedge, Diamondbacks manager A.J. Hinch, Padres bench coach Rick Renteria, former Nationals manager Manny Acta, and Rays bench coach Dave Martinez.
Andracki writes that the Cubs “have shown a propensity” to favor candidates who they are familiar with and Ausmus is no different, as Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer hired him for his current position when he was GM of the Padres. The Cubs’ front office also has a history with Red Sox bench coach Torey Lovullo, so it appears that he’ll still end up getting an interview.
Ausmus’ only managerial experience is with Team Israel, who failed to qualify for the 2013 World Baseball Classic. That hasn’t stopped him from being a popular name for openings around MLB, as he was a candidate for the Nationals’ job and recently met with the Tigers.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 45
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 58
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)