Nov 2, 2013, 9:54 AM EDT
Add another name to the list of candidates for Cubs manager.
Tony Andracki of CSNChicago.com reports that the Cubs interviewed Padres special assistant and former major league catcher Brad Ausmus for their managerial opening yesterday. He becomes the sixth reported candidate to interview, joining former Mariners manager Eric Wedge, Diamondbacks manager A.J. Hinch, Padres bench coach Rick Renteria, former Nationals manager Manny Acta, and Rays bench coach Dave Martinez.
Andracki writes that the Cubs “have shown a propensity” to favor candidates who they are familiar with and Ausmus is no different, as Cubs general manager Jed Hoyer hired him for his current position when he was GM of the Padres. The Cubs’ front office also has a history with Red Sox bench coach Torey Lovullo, so it appears that he’ll still end up getting an interview.
Ausmus’ only managerial experience is with Team Israel, who failed to qualify for the 2013 World Baseball Classic. That hasn’t stopped him from being a popular name for openings around MLB, as he was a candidate for the Nationals’ job and recently met with the Tigers.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 54
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 47
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)