Nov 2, 2013, 7:54 PM EST
A couple of easy decisions here for the Giants …
Bill Shaikin of the Los Angeles Times reports that the San Francisco front office has officially declined an $18 million club option on left-hander Barry Zito and a club option of unknown value on outfielder Andres Torres. The players are now free agents.
Zito, 35, posted a brutal 5.74 ERA (58 ERA+) across 133 1/3 innings during the 2013 regular season — the final chapter of that seven-year, $126 million free agent contract that he received in December 2006.
Torres, also 35, hit .250/.302/.342 with two home runs in 300 plate appearances this past summer.
Zito got a $7 million buyout from the Giants. It’s not clear whether Torres got anything.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)