Nov 2, 2013, 6:47 PM EDT
Greg Johns of MLB.com has the inside scoop:
Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik has returned to Seattle on Saturday and is beginning the second round of interviews for a new manager this weekend, with former Mariners second baseman Joey Cora among a handful of finalists.
Cora acted as a bench coach and third base coach under Ozzie Guillen during Guillen’s managerial tenure with the White Sox (2004-2011) and Marlins (2012). Cora also spent three years (2001-2003) as a manager in the Expos’ and Mets’ minor league systems.
He suited up for the Mariners from 1995-1998 as part of an 11-year major league playing career.
A’s bench coach Chip Hale, Padres bench coach Rick Renteria, Giants bench coach Ron Wotus, Dodgers third base coach Tim Wallach, Tigers hitting coach Lloyd McClendon and former Mariners catcher Dave Valle have also interviewed for the Seattle job, which was vacated in late September by Eric Wedge’s resignation.
Brad Ausmus, who has already spoken with the Tigers and Cubs, is also in the running with the M’s.
- Mariners acquire Mark Trumbo from the Diamondbacks 7
- Video: Masahiro Tanaka shines in return from disabled list 5
- Marlon Byrd hits disabled list with fractured wrist 0
- Red Sox acquire Alejandro De Aza from Orioles 28
- Video: Lloyd McClendon got ejected, threw another tantrum 33
- Albert Pujols ties Jimmie Foxx on the all-time home run list 32
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 104
- Matt Holliday’s historical on-base streak ends with ejection 86
- Stan Hack didn’t hack and other inappropriate baseball names (186)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (150)
- Tony Cingrani hits Bryce Harper in the back with a pitch, then complains he was too slow getting to first base (133)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (106)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (104)