Nov 2, 2013, 6:47 PM EDT
Greg Johns of MLB.com has the inside scoop:
Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik has returned to Seattle on Saturday and is beginning the second round of interviews for a new manager this weekend, with former Mariners second baseman Joey Cora among a handful of finalists.
Cora acted as a bench coach and third base coach under Ozzie Guillen during Guillen’s managerial tenure with the White Sox (2004-2011) and Marlins (2012). Cora also spent three years (2001-2003) as a manager in the Expos’ and Mets’ minor league systems.
He suited up for the Mariners from 1995-1998 as part of an 11-year major league playing career.
A’s bench coach Chip Hale, Padres bench coach Rick Renteria, Giants bench coach Ron Wotus, Dodgers third base coach Tim Wallach, Tigers hitting coach Lloyd McClendon and former Mariners catcher Dave Valle have also interviewed for the Seattle job, which was vacated in late September by Eric Wedge’s resignation.
Brad Ausmus, who has already spoken with the Tigers and Cubs, is also in the running with the M’s.
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 6
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 9
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 35
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 180
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (180)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)