Nov 2, 2013, 6:47 PM EDT
Greg Johns of MLB.com has the inside scoop:
Mariners general manager Jack Zduriencik has returned to Seattle on Saturday and is beginning the second round of interviews for a new manager this weekend, with former Mariners second baseman Joey Cora among a handful of finalists.
Cora acted as a bench coach and third base coach under Ozzie Guillen during Guillen’s managerial tenure with the White Sox (2004-2011) and Marlins (2012). Cora also spent three years (2001-2003) as a manager in the Expos’ and Mets’ minor league systems.
He suited up for the Mariners from 1995-1998 as part of an 11-year major league playing career.
A’s bench coach Chip Hale, Padres bench coach Rick Renteria, Giants bench coach Ron Wotus, Dodgers third base coach Tim Wallach, Tigers hitting coach Lloyd McClendon and former Mariners catcher Dave Valle have also interviewed for the Seattle job, which was vacated in late September by Eric Wedge’s resignation.
Brad Ausmus, who has already spoken with the Tigers and Cubs, is also in the running with the M’s.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (114)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)