Nov 2, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Feeling lost without live baseball in your life? Worry not, as some of the game’s top prospects will be on display in tonight’s Fall Stars Game in the Arizona Fall League. The game will begin at 8 p.m. ET and will be broadcast live on MLB Network and MLB.com.
Formerly known as the “Rising Stars” game, this is the eighth annual edition of the exhibition contest, which essentially functions as the fall edition of the “Futures Game” like we see during MLB’s All-Star Game festivities. As Jonathan Mayo of MLB.com notes, Bryce Harper, Mike Trout, Ryan Braun, Craig Kimbrel, and Buster Posey have participated in the game and gone on to win Rookie of the Year Awards. Counting the past four editions of the game, 93 players have reached the majors the very next season, so consider this an early sneak preview for 2014.
This year’s class is highlighted by Byron Buxton of the Twins and Kris Bryant of the Cubs. Buxton, 19, is coming off a monster season in which he batted .334/.424/.520 with 12 home runs, 77 RBI, and 55 stolen bases in 125 games between Class A Cedar Rapids and High-A Fort Myers. Bryant was Chicago’s first-round pick this past June and after mashing nine homers in his first 32 pro games, he leads the Arizona Fall League with six homers and 17 RBI.
Toronto’s Aaron Sanchez will make the start for the East team while Minnesota’s Alex Meyer will get the ball for the West, though they are unlikely to throw more than a couple of innings. Below are the lineups for tonight’s contest:
Fall Stars East: LF – James Ramsey (Cardinals), CF – Brian Goodwin (Nationals), 3B – Kris Bryant (Cubs), 1B – C.J. Cron (Angels), 2B – Taylor Lindsey (Angels), DH – Stephen Piscotty (Cardinals), RF – Jorge Soler (Cubs), C- Peter O’Brien (NYY), SS – Addison Russell (Athletics)
Fall Stars West: LF – Delino DeShields, Jr. (Astros), DH – Tyler Naquin (Indians), CF – Byron Buxton (Twins), 3B – Colin Moran (Marlins), RF – Jorge Bonifacio (Royals), SS – Corey Seager (Dodgers), C – Austin Hedges (Padres), 1B – Brett Nicholas (Rangers), 2B – Mookie Betts (Red Sox)
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 5
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)