Nov 3, 2013, 12:20 PM EST
Joe Strauss of the St. Louis Post-Dispatch speculates on a possible offseason trade:
With Carlos Martinez meriting a look-see as a starter — and [Trevor] Rosenthal wanting the same — it’s increasingly likely that general manager John Mozeliak shops Lance Lynn or Shelby Miller to simultaneously create an opening while addressing a core need at shortstop.
Pete Kozma served as the Cardinals’ primary shortstop in 2013 and posted a hideous .217/.275/.273 batting line in 143 games. Daniel Descalso also saw time at short this year in St. Louis, but he’s only marginally better on offense than Kozma and a significant downgrade defensively. The Cards have another internal option in 25-year-old former fifth-round pick Ryan Jackson, who spent the year at Triple-A Memphis, but the major league projections for him aren’t great.
With an abundance of legitimate MLB starters — think Adam Wainwright, Michael Wacha, Joe Kelly, Miller, Lynn, Martinez and Rosenthal — and a ton of money coming off the books between Carlos Beltran, Jake Westbrook, Rafael Furcal and Chris Carpenter, the Cardinals are set up well to make a splash.
Lynn, 26, has a 3.82 ERA, 1.29 WHIP and 9.1 K/9 in 412 1/3 major league innings. He will be arbitration-eligible for the first time next offseason. Miller, 23, owns a 2.94 ERA, 1.19 WHIP and 8.9 K/9 through his first 187 major league innings. He won’t reach salary arbitration until 2016. They’re both excellent trade chips.
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 7
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 24
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 28
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 144
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)